UKC

Bike building

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 03 Jan 2016
Hi,

I was going to try and put together a cyclo cross bike. To make it a bit cheaper and get some good specs on various items.

Is it worthwhile? Any advice or opinions?

Lynsey.
 Jack_Lewin 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

In terms of cost I am not sure, depends what tools you have, also factor in having your headset fitted if you are not comfortable doing that yourself.

Everything else is straightforward, I put together my touring bike from a frame and have so far ridden it to Turkey without any problems. Wheels built for me and headset fitted at shop. Budget for me was not a consideration, prefer to shop in LBS and wanted the build to be right and me to know how it all goes together if there where any issues on a trip.

Theres a lot of time to dedicate also! If you have the time and tools then it probably is!
In reply to Lynsety:

Probably more expensive than buying a pre-built one (especially if you don't already have the tools), but much more control over the components (obviously) and way more satisfying. I managed it, so it can't be that hard. Also good for helping you understand exactly how it works, so you can fix it yourself when it breaks.
 gethin_allen 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Many off the shelf bikes are really outstanding value if you can find what you want in one ie. everything fitting you and being up to the job you want it to be. Unless you can get some great deals on stuff or you'd need to change a lot of parts to make a off the shelf bike work for you I'd say you are not that likely to make much if any savings.

One thing otherwise, people always go on about fitting headset cups and needing fancy tools, I've removed and fitted a fair few headsets and found a hammer and block of wood to be more than capable, obviously this wouldn't be recommended if you have some fancy exotic frame/headset combo but I've done it with steel and alloy frames and never had any problems.
I'm got sure if cyclocross bikes have started using push fit BBs, if they have that could make things awkward and if you are getting disk brakes you may want to get the disk mounts ground, another job for someone with a fancy tool.
 Greasy Prusiks 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

I build my bikes and basically my advice would be this.

The more expensive the bike you're looking for the more it makes sense (or the less it doesn't make sense!) to build it.

An off the peg bike is initially better value but will have rubbish wheels, tyres and brakes. If you change some of those parts a build is cheaper.

Buy as many parts as you can afford at once so you can return them if they don't fit together.

Hope that helps, I'll keep thinking for some other tips.

Greasy
OP Lynsety 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Greasy Prusiks:

Yeah it does thanks. I've got some tools but to ve honest sounds like I'm better buying off the shelf for the cash I've got. Got about a grand.

Would actually like to do it out of interest and learn though
 Greasy Prusiks 03 Jan 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

No problem. I built my bike with that sorta budget and I think I got a few lucky deals along the way that seriously helped. It sounds like you know what you're talking about so I'd be very tempted to look at 2nd hand bikes. You can save loads that way, leaves more money to take it on adventure somewhere nice!
 LastBoyScout 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Lynsety:
Yes, it is worth it - my Sunday best bike is one I built myself, as I couldn't get the spec I wanted off the peg. Got all the parts in sales and cost me somewhere between 1/2 and 2/3 of it's value.

A number of my friends do this - frame from eBay, or wherever, and go from there. There are great deals on wheels online, etc.

Only proviso is you'll need a couple of specific (and expensive) tools for fitting the headset and, possibly, bottom bracket, but you can pay a bike shop to do those bits for you.

Don't cut the steerer tube too short to start with - you can always trim it more later.

Unless you already know your size, then it's worth getting properly measured for the frame size.

Also worth getting the rear mech hanger properly aligned - surprising how off they can be on a brand new frame.

Edit - if you don't already have one, a proper workstand makes it so much easier.
Post edited at 09:45
 Michael-H 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

I'm currently putting together a cyclocross bike using an Ebay Paul Milnes second hand frame and forks, and trying to use as many Ebay/bike jumble parts as possible to keep the cost down, though I've gone for new wheels, tyres, bottom bracket and cables.

I'm enjoying finding the parts and building it, but already had most of the tools I've needed apart from bott. bracket and cassette splined tools, which I've now bought.
In reality it will probably work out around the same or very little less than if I'd got something 2nd hand, but the experience of things like fitting cables, adjusting gears and canti brakes is worth it I think, for future maintenance knowledge.

Good luck and enjoy it if you do decide to build your own, there are some good youtube tutorial vids to help figure out how to do most tasks you're not too sure of.
 LastBoyScout 04 Jan 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

> One thing otherwise, people always go on about fitting headset cups and needing fancy tools, I've removed and fitted a fair few headsets and found a hammer and block of wood to be more than capable, obviously this wouldn't be recommended if you have some fancy exotic frame/headset combo but I've done it with steel and alloy frames and never had any problems.

I once fitted headset cups into a mountain bike frame using a vice and I've heard it done with G clamps, which gives much more control than a hammer.

I've actually found fitting the crown race can be the hardest bit, depending on the fork/headset combination.
 aldo56 04 Jan 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

A bit of threaded rod with some large washers / nuts works extremely well and costs very little.
 LastBoyScout 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Jack_Lewin:

> Theres a lot of time to dedicate also! If you have the time and tools then it probably is!

I found most of the time was spent poring over wheels. I probably would have spent longer choosing the frame had a friend not stumbled across exactly what I was looking for in an online sale. I already knew what I wanted for the groupset, although there are a couple of price-based compromises.

Once you have all the bits in a pile, I'd allow 2 days to build and tune it - cable routing can be fiddly and bar tape can be frustrating If everything goes well, however, there's no reason you shouldn't get it done in a day.
OP Lynsety 04 Jan 2016
Thanks everyone, that's all really helpful think I'll give it a go

Might be back on asking for help soon!
 david100 04 Jan 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

I built my own carbon frame mountain bike. I did not really save any money because I bought the tools that I needed for the job and I used new parts. However because I had the tools ( headset press, bottom bracket spanner, chainwhip, etc) the build was extremely quick and easy. Because I have done the build I can now do all my own maintenance and repair. I never need to take it to the bike shop. The only thing I bought complete was the wheelset and I think that was a good decision as trueing a wheel does sound like an art.
I agree with the comment about not cutting the steerer too short. Try a high bar first and only cut the steerer when you really know where you want your bars. That is one of the advantages of self build. Careful though. You might want to do it again. I am on to my second build and this time I am saving money. Drop me a line if you need any advice. It is all on you tube

wbo 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Lynsety:
I've built a couple of bikes this way, and would agree with the posters above that if you know what you want you can get a lot of bike for your money. I think the amount you can save is a bit dependent on how long you want to look on ebay or wherever.

A grand will also go a long, long way on the second hand market. It would need to be a heck of a deal to persuade me to buy new (although I got 50% on my current bike)
OP Lynsety 05 Jan 2016
In reply to david100:

Okay thanks. You tube is very helpful! I've got a bottom bracket spanner and some other tools. Also got a good work stand as have been learning and doing various jobs as whenever I took my bike to a shop they never quite fixed it right and seemed to cost more than I wanted to pay so decided I should have a go. Bike building seems the next step
cb294 05 Jan 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Bike building is great, dithering about the exact specifications for each part is of course a key part of the fun!

I would also second the idea mentioned above of starting with a high quality used frame, and then spend the money on new, higher spec parts.

If you go for a mid range or cheapo bike, off the shelf will definitely give you more for the same money.

CB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...