UKC

English/Welsh Ridges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Anhibian 22 Jan 2016
Hi all! I'm looking for good ridge style winter routes south of Scotland, got any ideas?
Not including Crib Goch and Striding/Swirral edge!

Cheers
 bags 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Anhibian:

There's quite a few nice ridges in Snowdonia. I'm guessing you're looking at stuff up to about Grade II/III?
THE classic is probably Tryfan North Ridge which puts you into some nice positions without ever getting out of hand. If you're hungry for more at the summit then Bristly Ridge is a great addition - though a little trickier right at the start.
In the same part of Snowdonia you could also have a look at The Gribin Ridge in Cwm Cneifion and The North East Spur near Y Garn...

Crib Lem in the Carneddau is another fun ridge, perhaps a little easier, and it's right in the middle of one of the best positions in the UK - Black Ladders to one side and a terrific cwm the other. Amazing that it's not busier...

You could have a look at something like the Eastern Arete of Cyfrwy on Cadair Indris if you wanted something even quieter?

I'm afraid I don't know much in England...Any help, or were you after easier/more difficult stuff?
 petegunn 22 Jan 2016
In reply to Anhibian:
The lakes offer a few but most are ridges of rock that run up buttresses, rather than airy mountain ridges in the classical sense.

Sharp Edge/Hallsfell Ridge, Blencathra II
Pinnacle Ridge, St. Sunday Crag II
Pinnacle Ridge, Great Gable III
Pendulum Ridge, Scrubby Crag III,4
Stepped Ridge and Summer Step, Brown Cove Crags III
Post edited at 20:54

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...