UKC

Musical taste as you get older

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 26 Jan 2016
The saying goes that a person's record collection stops the day they marry, or something very similar.

Compared to some, I'm still classed as a young'un and over the years I've used 78's, 33's, 45's, cassettes, mini disc's, CD's and now digital media such as MP3, FLAC, WMA and other variants.

Even with the progression of time and the changing formats has your musical tastes changed and if so, what was your starting point and where have you progressed to?
redsonja 26 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Mine hasn't changed at all. My favourite bands have been my favourite since I was 17!
cb294 26 Jan 2016
In reply to redsonja:

Same here. Of course I have expanded my record / CD collection, but my overall musical taste staid pretty much the same since my uni days.

Over time I have almost completely replaced my classic CDs (mostly cheapo Naxos ones with random eastern block orchestras, back when I couldn´t afford the better CDs) with better or at least different ones (e.g., I currently listen to three different versions of St. John´s passsion).

No point doing the same with the other stuff (mainly hard rock and folk).

CB
Lusk 26 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Still the same as from my teenage years, but I also listen to more and more stuff that I used to totally dismiss out of hand as total garbage.
 Doug 26 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I still listen to a lot of the stuff I was listening to in my teens & early twenties (mostly folk & rock) but over time have added jazz & 'modern' classical (if that makes sense - late 19th/20th century 'classical') and having moved to France have been listening to more & more French chanson style music (Brel, Brassens, etc). Still detest disco...
 tony 26 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I started out in my early teens as a metal fan (first ever concert was Deep Purple, Edinburgh Odeon, 1974), then got into punk, then started listening to jazz and classical in my early 20s, alongside loads of indie. And I learned about Joni Mitchell and discovered that her album Blue is completely beautiful. The jazz thing was helped by a woman I used to work for giving me a Charlie Mingus album which is still one of my favourites. And now, it's all sorts, although I still don't listen to opera.
 Babika 26 Jan 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I still like chart stuff (very un-hip I'm sure). But it has the benefit of moving with the times and forcing me to keep listening to something different even if its just different pop/grime/deep house bla bla

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...