UKC

Night Bouldering Access Issues in Dorset

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The_JT 03 Feb 2016
Hi,

Recently moved to Poole and would like to do some night bouldering without antagonising anyone. Anything I should know? Don't want to get the coast guard called out or end up at a dogging spot or something!

Will be doing some scoping-out, but any recommended areas?

JT
 Tom Last 04 Feb 2016
In reply to The_JT:

Might just be worth a quick call to the coastguard if you're worried about it - tell them where and when. I've done that with Falmouth before when night climbing in Penwith and they were very helpful.
 AJM 04 Feb 2016
In reply to The_JT:

I keep thinking I should get motivated and give it a go (a fellow Poole resident). I'm not aware of any access issues. I'd always assumed that for the physical access the cuttings would be the obvious spot. I don't know that it's overlooked by many buildings but I've never really checked in detail and I don't know if there are other factors to consider. Swanage quarries would be another option. I probably wouldn't head down to sea level as I suspect conditions wouldn't be so great anyway.
 The Ivanator 04 Feb 2016
In reply to The_JT:

The Agglestone may be about the closest option and you certainly wouldn't get the coastguard called out on you there, unless global warming/ocean levels have really got out of control!
A long way from any residences too, but I reckon you'd need to be familiar with the walk in to navigate it in the dark.
 balmybaldwin 04 Feb 2016
In reply to The_JT:

I would be wary of local night time activity if you plan on visiting some of the boulder fields on Portland.... things get thrown off the cliffs quite regularly (including a car where the previous weekend my tent had been pitched)
 Derry 04 Feb 2016
In reply to The_JT:

out of curiosity, why night bouldering? Am I missing a trick here or are you some nocturnal sharma-esque vampire?
 AJM 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

Maximises rock time in the UK winter for those of us who are at work during all the hours of daylight!
 Mick Ward 04 Feb 2016
In reply to AJM:

> I'd always assumed that for the physical access the cuttings would be the obvious spot.

Some years ago, the local scrotes pushed a car off the top of The Cuttings; it landed on that level patch around Two Fingers where everybody sits around. A bunch of East European climbers had been camped there, went off for a couple of days, came back and found aforesaid car. Hardly conducive to a good night's sleep!

I know the odds are massively against, but... there have been lots of near misses on the west side, with scrotes throwing stuff off. Once I very nearly got killed in Wallsend with a giant hay bale landing where I'd been, a few seconds before. (Yeah, I know, death by hay bale... not quite the glorious exit!)

Just have a hunch the scrotes may be active by night.

Mick

Climber_Bill 04 Feb 2016
In reply to The_JT:
You should be ok night bouldering at the Promenade, Blackers Hole or Palace of the Brine. You might get the odd fisherman, but no doggers and certainly cars off the top won't be a problem.

Just make sure you go in high seas for the full effect.
Post edited at 12:44
 Derry 04 Feb 2016
In reply to AJM:

> Maximises rock time in the UK winter for those of us who are at work during all the hours of daylight!

Then I would suggest The Project. open til 10ish, in Poole and very very good. Plastic mind
 AJM 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

I live 5 minutes from it and spend plenty of time there already. The reason people consider going out night bouldering isn't because they lack indoor walls! That's why I said "rock time" rather than "training time" or "climbing time".
 Derry 04 Feb 2016
In reply to AJM:

That's why I said "rock time" rather than "training time" or "climbing time".

But the OP didn't

AJM 04 Feb 2016
In reply to Derry:

<sigh> yes I'm sure they probably asked about night-time bouldering and whether it might cause access issues because they weren't aware of any indoor climbing centres nearby.
 Derry 04 Feb 2016
In reply to AJM:

And your point is?
OP Anonymous 05 Feb 2016
Hi everyone, thanks for advice so far - want to reply in full when I've got a bit more time.

I know about The Project, but currently feel more motivated to get outside. It would be one solution though

JT
The_JT 05 Feb 2016
In reply to The_JT:

Thank you all very much!

Right, so I've had a proper read through... to check out:
Winspit Quarry
Dancing Ledge Quarry
Agglestone

Portland, sounds like the cuttings could be problematic. Can see a few areas on Portland in the guidebook, so may revisit this idea later.

High priority to go to, no point even checking out beforehand (go at high tide and don't take a phone):
Promenade, Blackers Hole, Palace of the Brine

JT

In reply to The_JT:

I hope your joking about the last comment about prom and palace etc.

Just head to the boulderfield or lighthouse area. I've been there night climbing and never had any problems. Both are pretty out of the way of houses etc. Cheyne bouldering could be good too for an evening.

Sam
 AJM 05 Feb 2016
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

> Just head to the boulderfield or lighthouse area.

This.

Happy to team up if you fancy some company.
 Climber_Bill 09 Feb 2016
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

Hi Sam,

> I hope your joking about the last comment about prom and palace etc.

I think the OP was being satirical in response to my satirical / facetious comment on bouldering at those venues.

As a disclaimer; please do not go bouldering at Promenade, Blackers Hole, Palace of the Brine at high tide, in big seas, at night, without a phone, without a partner, without a brain......

steve taylor 10 Feb 2016
In reply to Climber_Bill:

> Hi Sam,

> I think the OP was being satirical in response to my satirical / facetious comment on bouldering at those venues.

> As a disclaimer; please do not go bouldering at Promenade, Blackers Hole, Palace of the Brine at high tide, in big seas, at night, without a phone, without a partner, without a brain......

... unless with TJB holding your hands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...