UKC

Roof mount cycle carrier

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 LittleRob 18 Feb 2016
Following a theft, we've changed MTBs and the new ones are 27.5 consequently they no longer fit very well in the roof-bar mounted bike carriers (that I've owned for ~20 years!). They don't fit in several ways (frame too fat, tyres to big etc).

Does anyone have any recommendations for roof-bar mounted racks for 27.5 MTB. Preferably they would also fit our road bikes, but since we could keep the current racks this wouldn't be a big problem.

TIA

Rob
 LastBoyScout 18 Feb 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

Which ones are you currently using?

I use Thule fork mount carriers - the older Velo Vise and Velo Vise Pro - and have the extension straps for wider tyres/deeper rims.

These are both now superseded by newer carriers that have longer straps as standard to cope with bigger volume tyres - have a look here: http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products/carriers-and-racks/bike-carriers/roof-m...
OP LittleRob 18 Feb 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I have no idea. I've had them years (literally about 20) and they are not a pair. I think one might be a genuine Vauxhall (from a car we had about 3 cars ago) and one a Halfords.

They have a clamp onto the down-tube, which is too small for the size of the new bikes, and tyre straps which are also too small.

I can kinda-sorta get them to work, but its a real pain, so I was going to upgrade.

Googling led me to the Thule 591, but I'm wondering if I need thule bars for that, which I don't have. Mine are simple bars (about 1"x1")

Rob
 Chris the Tall 18 Feb 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

Ones that clamp the front forks - rather than your downtube - are far more stable. The downside is you need to carry you front wheel in the car, and there's always the risk you will forget it (it's also certain that someone will tell you your missing a wheel....)

The other issue is that it's a bit harder to find these if you've got a through axle rather than a simple 15mm QR - IIRC thule charge a silly amount for a "conversion kit". Pendle racks do a better one, but it doesn't fit aero bars quite as well. And you can't lock them - yes I know the locks are rubbish, but they do the job for 5 minutes at a service station.

Here's a review of the latest from Thule
http://singletrackworld.com/reviews/thule-proride-598-bike-carrier/
 london_huddy 18 Feb 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

I got a Thule ProRide as a recommendation and while pricey, it's well worth it. Easy to put bikes up and no faffing with wheels and brakes. No issues with stability at motorway speeds. Highly recommended.
OP LittleRob 19 Feb 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

Its all rather confusing. Googling around, most sites (ChainReaction etc.) are selling the 591, but Thule's own website no longer list that, and only have the 598. I know for the 598 that there is a square bar converter kit (because the Thule website has a PDF manual for download), but I've not determined whether the same is true for the 591.

On reading the review that "Chris the tall" posted, perhaps the 598 is the one to go for. All I have to do now is find some!

Rob
cb294 19 Feb 2016
In reply to LittleRob:

I have the Thule fork mounting ones, and they don´t fit on the oval cross bar of my Renault Espace. If I have to carry four bikes (three bikes and passengers fit inside) I simply fix the front plate with one inch wide tape that I tension securely with a ratchet, as I can´t be bothered to buy the converter kit.

CB
 LastBoyScout 19 Feb 2016
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> Ones that clamp the front forks - rather than your downtube - are far more stable. The downside is you need to carry you front wheel in the car, and there's always the risk you will forget it

You can get a roof mount carrier for the front wheel, but I put them in a wheel bag in the boot.

> The other issue is that it's a bit harder to find these if you've got a through axle rather than a simple 15mm QR - IIRC thule charge a silly amount for a "conversion kit".

The higher spec Thule racks claim to do multiple axle types - and charge quite a premium to do so - but you can get converters such as these: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bike-racks?f=4294953649

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...