UKC

Cycling fasted

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tonybhoy 27 Feb 2016
I start a new job in a couple of weeks. As such for the first time in God knows how long I will be working permanent day shift. So I've bought a bike. Plan is to drive half way, leave the car and cycle the remaining 10/12 miles.
Because of having to get into work for 0730 I'll be cycling before having breakfast. Has anyone or does anyone cycle in a fasted state and then eat after arriving at work? What effect, especially in the early days, has it had on your preformance and have you found the fat (not necessarlily the weight) dropped off quickly.

Any advice and guidance hugely appreciated.

Tony.
Removed User 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

I do this all the time, and throw in a swim. Can't say I've ever measured performance differences but I haven't keeled over or anything.

That said, if you are fairly unfit and not used to going without food you might find it a little bit of a struggle.
 ThunderCat 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

If you look in the dictionary for "unfit middle aged bloke", there's a picture of me.

The cycle journey to work is about 9 miles door to door (but very flat). I rarely ever eat breakfast simply because I don't feel like eating first thing in the morning and with me it's a trade off between "a few extra minutes in bed" vs "messing around preparing food"

I don't experience any real problem in missing breakfast personally - that being said, we have a routine of having lunch at 11:30 to miss the dinnertime rush so it's quite an early feed.

I'm also an office worker, so not a particularly calorie-consuming job...

I think the advice will be 'listen to your body' and play it by ear?

OP Tonybhoy 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Removed User:

Thanks for that. I'd say I was reasonably fit, but haven't cycled for years. Genuinely excited about the new regime and getting a regular exposure to exercise as opposed to it being in fits and starts.

The commute will be 4 times a week, with Wednesday being an admin day. I'm keen to see if the middle aged spread thins out over the coming weeks and months.
Removed User 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

I think "listen to your body" is the right advice. I don't have a middle aged spread but I can say that regular cycling has kept the pounds off and training for a Triathlon seems to motivate me to go for longer rides etc which really do help with the weight loss.
 gethin_allen 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

This regime would kill me, if I cycle to work about 8:30 am (4 miles) I'm desperate for lunch by mid day even when I eat a reasonable breakfast of cereal and fruit. I don't think I have very substantial energy reserves.
 JamButty 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

Everyones different, but perhaps a piece of toast before you head off.
 ClimberEd 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

An alternative option.

To give context, I train and race long distance triathlons every year, for which energy use and nutrition are a key component of performance.
(but that doesn't make me an expert

I train fasted a lot, but not for the fasting benefit which is a useful byproduct. I can't eat a lot and get out of the door quickly to train, so if I am time limited my morning sessions are fasted (with the exception of my long bike), which is most mornings.

However (can I put that in italics!?) - I have a black coffee with a slab of butter and coconut (or MCT ) oil in it. (I believe it has some trendy name like bullet proof coffee.) Butter needs to be unsalted.
No milk, no sugar, nothing else as this would reduce fat and increase carb burning mechanisms.

Try it, you'll probably be surprised. Eating very soon after a workout also maximises recovery, so you'll probably find it a really effective way of building fitness.

Yanis Nayu 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

I run fasted sometimes. I don't run hard, but I don't find it problematic at all. I do, however, seem to crave food more afterwards so from a weight loss point of view I'm not sure about it.
 nniff 27 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

I cycle 14 miles each way most days of the week. I shovel a bowl of Shreddies down me, drive 6 miles (I live on top of a sodding great hill and the extra is too much in the evening) and cycle the rest of the way. Adding luggage (particularly a laptop) makes a huge difference. I tend to grab a pastry shortly after I arrive . A sandwich and a few bits and pieces keeps me going through the day but I am generally hungry and I have a decent evening meal. I can tell if I haven't eaten enough during the day because I crave something sweet in the evening after dinner. My weight hasn't changed much (I wasn't exactly hefty before I started this regime in the summer) but I have changed shape.

I ride a 24inch wheel folder with skinny tyres and one or two panniers, depending on luggage. Suits and shoes at the office: shirt, tie, socks underwear, lunch, puncture kit and a waterproof jacket if necessary travel. Laptop goes in another pannier to keep it better balanced. I can't stand rucksacks when i'm riding
Saldi 27 Feb 2016
In reply to ClimberEd:

> black coffee with a slab of butter and coconut (or MCT ) oil in it.

I can't help with the OP's question but jeez that sounds minging!

Removed User 27 Feb 2016
In reply to nniff:

> I ride a 24inch wheel folder with skinny tyres and one or two panniers, depending on luggage. Suits and shoes at the office: shirt, tie, socks underwear, lunch, puncture kit and a waterproof jacket if necessary travel. Laptop goes in another pannier to keep it better balanced. I can't stand rucksacks when i'm riding

I throw it all in a backpack, laptop, shirt, trousers, shoes, towel, showergel, the lot. I don't notice it.
 pandaling 28 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:
FWIW, last year I had a hilly 17 mile (each way) commute from Sheffield to Barnsley. Started off pretty unfit, and I had to stop for a food break before I even got there because I was crashing so hard.

Soon got used to it and used to do it fasted no problem; would get into work 15mins early to have a nice leisurely bowl of porridge and protein shake for recovery.

Can't comment on the weight loss, but there is a theory out there that if you ride fasted, you burn your fat stores because you're deplete of glycogen from not eating overnight... or something like that. Don't hold me to it!

Edit: Of course I lost weight, but the cycling in itself probably helped with that. Also got very fit too, it was lovely, so enjoy the cycle, rain or shine! I live within walking distance of work now, and there's not enough willpower in me to go for a cycle before work. Currently a shadow of my former self.
Post edited at 00:47
OP Tonybhoy 28 Feb 2016
In reply to pandaling:

Thanks for all the replies. I have, in the past, drank a coffee with coconut oil. This I will probably do again whilst driving to the drop off point.
As for weight loss...I think I'll drop a few pounds but I also think I'll mostly change shape. Food wise I'll eat mid morning and mid afternoon. There's a substantial gym nearby so intend utilising that at lunchtimes.
As I said before I'm genuinely excited about starting the new job for a number of reasons, but the main one is because I've a shiney new bike, I'll get regular exercise in and I'll have my evenings free to start climbing again.
 LastBoyScout 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:
I ride a relatively flat 11 mile commute. Like others have mentioned, I don't like to ride on a full stomach, so usually don't have anything before I leave - I might steal a bite of my wife's toast or cereal, maybe a slurp of orange juice, but that's it.

I do like to take a small bottle of water with me, or my mouth gets very dry.

Once I get to work, it's shower then breakfast - I know I should eat first, but wouldn't want to inflict my sweaty body on the rest of the office.

I leave office clothes at work on the days I drive in, so I only have to carry my laptop, puncture kit and other essentials. I prefer to use a rucksack rather than panniers.

Edit: I also leave shower stuff at work
Post edited at 10:43
 steveriley 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

I run quite a bit before breakfast. You should easily have enough petrol in the tank for 10 or 12 miles cycling (I think the boffins say you have 90'- 2h glycogen stored). I'd suck it and see - if it's a big change in lifestyle you might want try a couple of days a week first. That said I'm equally happy running or cycling with a bit of food in my belly. It's a useful tolerance to have for longer events.
 IceKing 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

There's new research that shows that men burn more fat if they train fasted and eat afterwards, whereas it is the other way around for women i.e. they burn more if they eat before exercise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/4glyLcrhgqQtPGQYM11l1YJ/the-big-ex...

FWIW I often train fasted and for up to an hour and a half I can ride as intensely as I want, more than that and I bonk. The only caveat to that is if I have been dieting and therefore have not replenished my glycogen stores properly from before then sometimes I struggle. But if I eat well after exercise then I am good to go for another hour and a half of fasted exercise a day later.
paultry 29 Feb 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

Cycling those kinds of distances in a fasted state shouldn't be too difficult. Just try and keep the intensity low if possible. Also, if you have some kind of storage at work, take all your work clothes in to the office on Monday and take it all home on Friday. Gives you 8 unencumbered journeys each week!
OP Tonybhoy 01 Mar 2016
In reply to paultry:

I have a copule of lockers at work so will store clothes, sport kit etc there. Plan is to cycle every day except Wednesday as thats tea out with the kids night so need to get home sooner rather than later.
 Brass Nipples 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

Those distances it'll have no impact at all. You can cycle for hours in a fasted state before you'll need to eat, just don't expect to sprint like Mark Cavendish.
 jonnie3430 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

I sometimes cycle in to work which is about 14 miles each way and rarely have breakfast before. What would break me though is not having enough to drink, as I usually wake up a bit dehydrated. I have a pint of tea and a pint of juice before I head out and am not dry when I get there.
 IceKing 01 Mar 2016
In reply to jonnie3430:

> I sometimes cycle in to work which is about 14 miles each way and rarely have breakfast before. What would break me though is not having enough to drink, as I usually wake up a bit dehydrated. I have a pint of tea and a pint of juice before I head out and am not dry when I get there.

Drinking a pint of juice before riding is not cycling fasted.
 jonnie3430 01 Mar 2016
In reply to IceKing:

Apologies for confusion, am from Glasgow where juice is a generic term. I refer to orange squash with no added sugar, I.E. flavoured water.
 IceKing 01 Mar 2016
In reply to jonnie3430:

Fair dos, apologies
 steve taylor 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:
3 years ago this is precisely what I did 3 days per week. I varied the parking location until I'd found a nice, safe 10 mile route.

I just rolled out of bed, put on my cycling gear, put the bike in the car (Octavia, naturally) and set off. I never had an issue with not eating and I wasn't too fit when I started doing this. On the days I didn't cycle at all, I dropped off a set of clean clothes at work. Fortunately my employer supplied decent showers and lockers. Once at my desk I'd eat a cereal bar or two and some fruit, then a decent lunch from the works canteen.

Once I'd got fitter I'd cycle all the way in and out (22 miles each way), usually on a Friday. Beautiful sunrises along the Poole/Bournemouth/Christchurch seafronts helped on the way in. The standard headwind on the way back didn't.

The bonus of doing so much exercise was that I was very alert on the days I cycled plus I could eat whatever I wanted and still lost weight. Plus I saved a fortune on fuel and it was sometimes quicker than driving. The feelings of smugness/righteousness helped too.
Post edited at 12:25
 wilkesley 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:
As others have said you should be fine over that distance. However, I would stick a couple of cereal bars in your bag. If it's cold, wet and windy they could well be nice to have as a reserve. In the last couple of weeks I have found that I need a bit of a boost even on rides where I wouldn't normally bother carrying food. If you start to feel tired/cold where you wouldn't normally do so, chomp on a cereal bar.
Post edited at 13:59
 nutme 01 Mar 2016
I am cycling and eating at work for last 8 years. Don't have any problems, but can't say it makes me loose bodyweight either.

My normal breakfast is one bagel with peanut butter and coffee. Skipping breakfast doesn't work for me. Without food by 10 AM I am starving.
 Shani 09 Mar 2016
For Serious Training, Hold the Carbs at Dinnertime

http://nyti.ms/1LQLBkL

OP Tonybhoy 09 Mar 2016
In reply to Shani:

Thanks for the link.

A few years ago, whilst working away from home, I followed a structured training plan (P90X). I ate a protein based breakfast, a carb based lunch and then evening meal was either fish, chicken or steak and a mound of veg. I ate nothing after 8pm, so went to bed slightly hungry.
Over a 6 week period I lost 10lb in weight and 4 inches off my waist. My core was strengthened and my climbing improved. The article lends weight to my experience. With working permanant days from Monday next week I'll be able to have a better meal plan so should be able to have the evening meal at a decent time and essentially go to bed peckish.
I'm hoping that a combination or cycling, gym at lunch and a better structured eating plan will produce extremely positive results.
Andywalters 10 Mar 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

Only recently watched this,

youtube.com/watch?v=leDi0hjlnck&

Specifically geared towards mtb bike training but it was interesting as I ride a very short but hilly commute 5 days a week, with very rarely any breakfast before hand.
 joeruckus 14 Mar 2016
In reply to Tonybhoy:

From Cooke, Bunting & O'Hara's 'Mountaineering Training and Preparation' (2010):

"The training strategies for replicating an extensive endurance day start with early morn- ing fat-burning runs or other activities such as a bike ride or swim. Training the body to become efficient at burning fat is essential to any endurance athlete, whether mountaineer, marathon runner, or triathlete. The early exercise doesn’t have to be prolonged. Twenty minutes a day of running before eating, when the liver has reduced glycogen stores, enables free fatty acids to become more easily mobilised, therefore increasing fat oxidation in comparison to the fed state. Additionally, fat burning continues even after exercise, adding to the training effect."

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...