UKC

Older bike models?? Saving cash

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lynsety 01 Mar 2016
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a cyclocross bike for my husband and after one that's an older model to try and save some cash and get more for our money.

Is it best going through bike shops? Anyone else done this?

I've looked at eBay but most are collection only and nothing on Gumtree.

Any other second hand ways to go?

Lynsey.
 Dark-Cloud 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

What's the budget ? Last years models are always good money.
 ChrisJD 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

They'll be a Facebook group for cyclo bikes for sale for sure
 lummox 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Lynsety:
Where are you based ? Here in Yorkshire there is a FB cycle page that often has cx bikes for sale on it. Singletrack/Grit CX /Bike Radar sites are a good way of finding out info about cx bikes available as well.
Post edited at 09:34
 Dark-Cloud 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Halfords have the Bordman range heavily discounted at the moment, good bikes and if you have British cycling membership another 10 percent off
 LittleRob 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

It is still worth looking at local bike shops. Bikes are seasonal, rather like clothing, and as the 2016 models are out many bike shops are selling 2015 stock at cut-prices (its certainly true of the LBS where my son works which had quite good discounts on 2105 models).

Rob
OP Lynsety 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Was hoping for 5-600 hundred but not sure if that's totally unrealistic!!

I live in Aberdeen but often back in Yorkshire as have family there so will look on Facebook.

Lynsey.
 LastBoyScout 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> Halfords have the Bordman range heavily discounted at the moment, good bikes and if you have British cycling membership another 10 percent off

Happened to be in my local Halfords yesterday and there are some good deals there.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?cata...
Post edited at 22:46
 The Potato 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Yep FB groups definitely worth a look. Not sure if Flatoutcycles.co.uk have cx bikes but worth a look also
 gethin_allen 01 Mar 2016
In reply to Lynsety:

Not sure what they have at the moment but pauls cycles online used to be good for this sort of thing. Obviously you need to know the details and size you need if you are buying online.
 TobyA 01 Mar 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

Mine is an older model "the Comp" but its basically that spec - and it has been a cracking bike in most ways. The BB5 brakes aren't the best, but the frame and fork have been excellent on mine, including doing quite a lot of serious off road riding on it, including very silly CX races in Finnish forests full of granite drop offs and endless roots!
 cfer 04 Mar 2016
In reply to LastBoyScout:

I have this exact bike although I upgraded the groupset after about 6 months but its a cracking buy at that price

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...