UKC

Citroen Berlingo... Climbers car?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 willoates 10 Mar 2016
Hey, I'm getting a new car and was trying to decide between an 04 passat and an 02 Citroen Berlingo. I am leaning towards a Citroen Berlingo because of the extra head room for when were sleeping in the back. It's also better to get bikes in when the seats are folded away.

My question is... Can you fit bouldering mats (flat, but folded) in the boot of the Berlingo. If so, how many?

I will take a couple of pads with me if I go view one tomorrow, but I could save myself time and 60 miles if somebody tells me they don't fit.

Cheers guys!

Will
 cha1n 10 Mar 2016
In reply to willoates:

I usually have two pads folded in the boot of my Berlingo with the parcel 'shelf' pulled across so they aren't visible (it's a retractable fabric cover). You can fit two more on top. My pads are a moon warrior and an edelrid dead point.
 tjin 11 Mar 2016
In reply to willoates:

> Hey, I'm getting a new car and was trying to decide between an 04 passat and an 02 Citroen Berlingo. I am leaning towards a Citroen Berlingo because of the extra head room for when were sleeping in the back. It's also better to get bikes in when the seats are folded away.

> My question is... Can you fit bouldering mats (flat, but folded) in the boot of the Berlingo. If so, how many?

Also depends a lot on the pads...

What I hate about Frensh cars are the cupholders. Or beter said, the lack of them. Seriously, from van to high end C5's. Where is that workable cupholder?

A Passat is a higher end car then the Berlingo. So very different in comforts from seat to noise insulation. Something to consider if you drive longer distances.

Out of the box thinking:
If you do not have bicyles and bouldermats inside at the same time; you can also go for a tow hitch mounted bikecarrier with optional cargo platform/box. An example the Westfalia BC 60. I my self have a Spinder bike carrier, which used to sell a cargo platform for them. It's easily transferable to the next cars you will own. This way you can have a smaller more frugal car for normal use. Although sleeping in a small car can be a issue...
 biscuit 11 Mar 2016
In reply to willoates:
http://www.amdro.co.uk/products/boot-jump-camper-car-c-10_15.html

This fits Berlingos and could sway your thinking.
In reply to tjin:
> Also depends a lot on the pads...

It shouldn't too much: I've got one of the Organic Big Pads, probably the biggest bouldering mat on the market, and that fits in fine. I reckon I could fit another three bouldering mats on top of that too.

Aside from that the Berlingo comes highly recommended from me, I've loved mine and really rate the Boot Jump (mentioned above) too. Our Developer, Paul Phillips, has also got one - think he feels much the same way too. Double thumbs up from Team UKC.

p.s. tjin, I couldn't agree more about the cupholders...
Post edited at 09:16
OP willoates 11 Mar 2016
In reply to willoates:

Great, cheers guys! I Like the boot thing too, although I'll probably make my own I think, tight fisted chump that I am!

Cheers everyone

Will
 BruceM 11 Mar 2016
In reply to willoates:

These berlingos (I think you mean the glass-backed people carriers rather then the van versions) that you are all talking about: do they register as a van or a car? You know for insurance and speed restriction purposes? Interested to know if they have these advantages over the solid small van version.

Cheers.
 Andy Morley 11 Mar 2016
In reply to willoates:

My Peugeot Partner Tepee, which is the same vehicle will take boulder pads on the roof, secured to the roof rails. You don't need a roof rack as such for boulder pads and the rails are more than adequate to secure them. But most will fit in the back anyway.
 nathan79 11 Mar 2016
In reply to BruceM:

Berlingo vans don't have a speed restriction on them. One of the things I checked before buying one.
 Joyce 11 Mar 2016
Morning Campers,

I have an 02 Peugeot Partner equivalent of the Belingo Multispace and I love it. Like Cha1n said, 2 mats can live under the parcel shelf full time and you can stack five in there, nae bother (think my record is six but they need to be getting smaller/thinner as you get towards the top of the pile.

I can roll two MTBs in whole with the back seats down or take off the wheels and get three bikes, three riders and kit in easily.

With some thought (vertical pads), I've gone camping for a weeks with a bike, three pads, a full rack, camping stuff and the Good Lady Wife with no fuss.

I've slept in the back twice. At 5'9", it's a touch short on the diagonal for me to be comfortable.

I have the 1.9D with no turbo and it's slow as heck, isn't keen on corners, doesn't really do braking and is gloriously heavy to drive. But as a box on wheels that eats miles on the motorway and mine has just ticks through 185,000 with nothing going wrong other than the 'consumables'. Being small, heavy at the front and underpowered, it's great in the snow too, for a front wheel drive car anyway.

It gets away with being a 'car' as it has back seats and windows in the back so no speed restrictions or more expensive van tolls on the Severn Bridge etc.

Finally, there maybe no cup holders but you can get 10 pints of milk in each of the door pockets, what more do you need?!

Love from,
Joyce,
Xxxx
Removed User 11 Mar 2016
In reply to willoates:

Nick Bullock used to, and maybe still does, live in one. If that doesn't qualify it as a climber's car I don't know what does.
 sebrider 11 Mar 2016
In reply to willoates:

I had the same idea after a trip to Finale. By far the worst car I ever owned. Highland roads were so wasted on it. Horrible horrible machine. It's now long gone, driving is fun again and anything fits in an estate.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...