UKC

Organic or Moon pad?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hertz32 03 Apr 2016
Planning on buying my first bouldering mat for a climbing holiday in the summer; Dorset to Torridon. For my girlfriend and me.
I've so far narrowed it down to Organic or Moon. Ideally the biggest size we can fit in a W reg Nissan Micra!
Possibly could squeeze a Moon Saturn in there, which would be ideal as we would be using only the one pad, and don't fancy covering the interior in mud.
However I am a big fan of Organic, and I know the foam is pretty much the best out there.
With a budget of £230, organic would be a little out of reach for a size similar to the Saturn. Also, obtaining them can be tricky.

Ideally, we'd also like to be able to leave the mat outside overnight with bags on top with a 3m x 3m tarp over it and folded underneath.

I'm thinking the Moon Saturn is perfect if it can fit in the Micra.
So, the real question is - for using a single pad only. Is an Organic Simple/full pad, or Moon Warrior large enough?

And is Organic foam THAT much better than Moons?
 deacondeacon 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Hertz32:

Are you keeping the pad etc under a tarp so that you can try and sleep in the car?
Just get a £30 tent from decathlon/go outdoors somewhere like that and sleep in it.

As far as the pads go they're both premium pads and you won't be disappointed in either. Personally I'd buy an Organic pad if someone was selling one cheap but I wouldn't pay extra for it.
 Si dH 04 Apr 2016
In reply to Hertz32:

> So, the real question is - for using a single pad only. Is an Organic Simple/full pad, or Moon Warrior large enough?

I can't answer the rest of your post but my view on this is definitely 'no'.

Hertz32 04 Apr 2016
In reply to deacondeacon:

Nope, sleeping in a tent - don't worry!
I have an MSR 2 person tent, it's just nice to have some outside storage for it so we can have more room.
Fred Naish 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Hertz32:

Organic pads are fantastic but if you're looking for a bigger pad for a little bit less money and still of a very good quality we highly recommend SNAP!

If you're heading down to Dorset then why not pop in to out shop at The Project Climbing Centre where we stock Organic, SNAP!, DMM and Metolius...
 CurlyStevo 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Fred Naish:

I bought snap last year as they seemed to be the best made pads for the price point.
 tjin 21 Apr 2016
In reply to Hertz32:

If size of the car is a issue, you can always strap it down on a pair of roofracks. You can use lockable straps if you need to get something quickly in the shops.
DowneR 16 May 2016
In reply to Hertz32:

Buy a bigger car mate
 BAdhoc 16 May 2016
In reply to Hertz32:

FWIW I have a moon pad (warrior) and as a pad it's great but as a shorty (5' 4") it sits really low on my back when carrying it and makes my back ache on longer walk ins.

Currently trying to justify an Organic pad.

Try them on in shops if you can.
 alx 17 May 2016
In reply to Hertz32:

Would recommend the moon Saturn, I own three and a new Warrior the foam and build quality of the current incarnation is absolutely spot on.

In contrast I am not a fan of snap pads, they didn't stand up to the punishment of a two week trip whereas the saturns and warrior are plump and still going strong.

I strap two saturn mats together and BA take them as a piece of the luggage allowance. Two saturns and a warrior plus two big expedition style hold-all bags fit into a VW polo (in a fashion). My Ford Focus takes all the mats as my regular crag car, two can fit in the boot, leaving the back passenger seats free if needed, I think your Micra should be ok for one Saturn or similar.

Keep an eye out on bergefreund website, the saturns are selling for £225.

I have not owned an organic pad, but they look and feel great. I don't think you can go too badly wrong between the two.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...