UKC

DSLRs with good video abilities?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 06 Apr 2016
Does what it says on the tin.

I'm preferably interested in Nikon and the cheaper end of the spectrum.

I have a D5000 but it does not always focus well
 richprideaux 06 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

D7200 would seem the logical step within the Nikon DX ecosystem. More AF points, 1080p 60fps and some clever exposure-smoothing going on.

What do you want to shoot? We use one for promotional videos, timelapses and where we need a shallow DofF for something a bit arty, but it's fairly heavy and needs a bit of re-learning if you're moving up from a 3 or 5-series Nikon.
OP The Lemming 06 Apr 2016
In reply to richprideaux:

> D7200 would seem the logical step within the Nikon DX ecosystem. More AF points, 1080p 60fps and some clever exposure-smoothing going on.

> What do you want to shoot?

Punter stuff while out and about climbing or on holiday
 richprideaux 06 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

D7200 might be a bit heavy then. But even my D3200 would shoot 1080p 30fps, it just didn't like high ISO. Would a GoPro or decent action compact do?

AF in video mode for Nikon is always a little lumpy anyway. Shooting with a DSLR is tricky due to the Dof F and small viewfinder screen, and is much better when used on a tripod, or short static shots. Tracking and panning will often be a bit wobbly without extra kit.

The best way to make a DSLR behave like a broadcast-quality camera is to add things to it, like a shoulder rig, field monitor for focusing and external mic/light panel.
 Dark-Cloud 06 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Does it have to be dSLR ?

Some of the Panasonic mirrorless do pretty impressive video, and older GX7 would be a good choice.

Funnily enough I was just looking at second hand dSLR's on MPB.com, some pretty high end stuff for not a lot of money if you do decide dSLR.
interdit 06 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> Does what it says on the tin.

> I'm preferably interested in Nikon and the cheaper end of the spectrum.

> I have a D5000 but it does not always focus well

If you want to video stuff with autofocus and are looking for a new camera to do this then there are better options than a DSLR.

A DSLR is great for getting a 'film effect' with the potential for shallow dof etc, but manual focus and static or sliding shots bring the best results.

I have used a D5100 and have had very pleasing results when filming. Never used autofocus whilst doing it though.
OP The Lemming 06 Apr 2016
In reply to Dark-Cloud:
> Does it have to be dSLR ?

No, not really.

If I was to go down a dedicated punter video camera route what sort of camera would I expect to consider?

It would have to have some sort of image stabilising in it but I don't have a scooby.

Also how much cheese would I have to put on the table for a video camera that will give good stable results?
Post edited at 22:23
 Toerag 06 Apr 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Panasonic GH4 is the best video 'DSLR' I believe. If you're shooting handheld try an Olympus OMD as the stabilisation is fantastic.
 Dark-Cloud 07 Apr 2016
In reply to Toerag:
Video from The Olympus isn't the greatest really, Panasonic better, I have seen some stuff done on the GX7 and it looked pretty good and has plenty of options for shooting modes.

For example:

vimeo.com/98666912

Been edited and graded but i think it looks very good, buy a dedicated film lens and and it would make a pretty good cheap set-up but this was all shot on the Panasonic 20mm so even cheaper
Post edited at 17:21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...