UKC

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Stuyoung 16 Apr 2016
Hi i just started climbing indoors about a month ago.and currently climbing about 6a. Been offerd the chance to climb in llanberis but im unsure if i should take up the offer
 broken spectre 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Stuyoung:

As you first start out your more prone to having an accident (for the first couple of years - especially if your aggressively chasing grades). If the offer is from a reputable club or an "old hand" maybe it could be a great idea, otherwise I'd tread cautiously. There are some very intimidating feeling climbs in the Llanberis area, I wouldn't necessarily class it as an ideal venue as a first outing.
Stuyoung 16 Apr 2016
In reply to broken spectre:

Grades dont really bother me i just enjoy climbing . Its a old hand and would be climbing slate he was saying
 Greasy Prusiks 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Stuyoung:

If you trust the person taking you is safe then go for it! Worst that can happen is you don't enjoy it.
Stuyoung 16 Apr 2016
He is a safe climber. Its that im not sure if im up to climbing at any outdoor grades yet.
 pec 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Stuyoung:

> He is a safe climber. Its that im not sure if im up to climbing at any outdoor grades yet. >

Whilst many people now do their first climbs indoors until quite recently every climber in the history of climbing did their first climb outside on real rock. Anyone can climb outdoors if the route is easy enough, at 6a you can afford to drop a lot of grades and still have routes to climb, although not necessarily on slate as there isn't much easy stuff on it. Still, you've nothing to lose, you can just second your mate up stuff, you don't have to lead anything.

Stuyoung 16 Apr 2016
In reply to pec:

Might talk him in to a weekend up in the peak to start with i think lol as not sure ill get on with slate,but i guess there are other routes up in the pass i could climb
 Brass Nipples 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Stuyoung:

Go for it, worst that happens is that you struggle a bit but it'll be a good learning experience for you. It may open up further outdoor opportunities.

Stuyoung 16 Apr 2016
In reply to Lion Bakes:

Very true..ive a planned trip to the peak in September so some outdoor experience would be good .
 jezb1 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Stuyoung:

Never pass up an opportunity to go climbing.

Slate is ace.
 deacondeacon 17 Apr 2016
In reply to Stuyoung:

An opportunity to go climbing outdoors with an experienced partner is a great privilege for a beginner. In climbing you'll do well to grab these chances as often as possible, it'll be good for your climbing, and it'll be a great day.
What exactly is it that you're unsure about? If you can climb 6a indoors there's plenty of stuff for you to climb on the slate. If your experienced mate reckons yours up to it then you're up to it.

Basically stop f**king whining and man up, you'll be fine.
 slab_happy 17 Apr 2016
In reply to pec:

> although not necessarily on slate as there isn't much easy stuff on it

Nah, there's been a boom in bolting of low-to-mid-grade slate routes in the last few; there's a good selection of beautiful easy stuff now. Lots of good stuff in Australia.

My first ever slate lead was Titan, which is a mighty French 4c:

Titan (4c)
Stuyoung 17 Apr 2016
In reply to slab_happy:

Cheers all
 ffdalton 02 May 2016
In reply to Stuyoung:
Glad to support progression from a professional prospective. IM me Peak Athlete Climbing on FB. Cheers ed.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...