UKC

What are insoles for?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 23 Apr 2016
Do I need them? I have a pair of Addidas Swoop fell runners, I only wear them when I'm going to run where it is proper muddy or grassy, not even on trails let alone pavement, so I haven't used them a huge amount in recent years. But I realise now after using them the other night, that yes EVERY time I use them I get a big blister on both feet just behind the ball of the foot on the inside. It is the edge of insole causing it. In the past I've used Superfeet insoles in them and thought that was the cause - too stiff and wide for light narrow running shoes. But having gone back to soft normal insoles that came with those shoe, I got the blister again. I've tried a couple of other insoles from other trainers that I have never had blisters with, but same problem.

So - conclusion - they are really the wrong shape for my feet, despite being so soft and light. But does anyone jog without any insoles in their shoes? Does it work ok? I guess that's the last thing to try before giving up on them. Insoles must have a purpose - Superfeet really helped me a decade ago in walking and winter boots - but trainers are so soft and the padding is in the midsole anyway.

And if not, does anyone want a pair of size 42 Swoops that have maybe only done a max of 50 miles (probably less) for a fiver? I'll put them through the washing machine first, promise!
 tony 23 Apr 2016
In reply to TobyA:

> So - conclusion - they are really the wrong shape for my feet, despite being so soft and light. But does anyone jog without any insoles in their shoes? Does it work ok?

I've done that with a couple of pairs of shoes. I have wide forefeet, and getting shoes that fit can be difficult, so I've either trimmed the heelcup a bit so the foot sits a bit further back in the shoe, or just got rid of the insole completely. It does work - I'd suggest trying it and seeing how it feels.
 Rick Graham 23 Apr 2016
In reply to tony:

Like Tony, I have wide feet and find most shoes more stable and comfortable for off road work without the insole, especially as I can often then wear thicker socks.

Sometimes, especially on some board lasted shoes, the midsole takes a battering, as it is normally offered some protection by the insole.

In the designers mind, the insole is part of the foot shaped product, and offers extra cushioning and personalised shaping. I just find it usually better without.
OP TobyA 23 Apr 2016
In reply to Rick Graham and tony: thanks chaps, I will give no insoles a go before giving up on them.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...