UKC

Moves per meter

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 humptydumpty 02 May 2016
Feels like this might be a stupid question, but... roughly how many "moves" per meter do does an average sport climb have?

I guess I'd define a move as a discrete hand hold, and guess about 2 moves per meter; does that sound reasonable?
 aceagles 02 May 2016
In reply to humptydumpty:

Depends
 Steve nevers 02 May 2016

mmmm, 42?
 1poundSOCKS 02 May 2016

There's about 30 hand moves on the route I'm trying, and it's 12m long. Does that help?
OP humptydumpty 02 May 2016
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

Yeah it does, thanks. Does it feel average, or is it very handy-movey?
 1poundSOCKS 02 May 2016

Maybe average for a 12m route at Malham, perhaps slightly less 'handy' than some, mainly long reaches after the first couple of bolts. Although when I learn one route, I tend to forget the last one.
 AlanLittle 02 May 2016

I have a ten metre, 20 move project. It's on small holds without any really big moves and it feels quite tiki-taka.
OP humptydumpty 03 May 2016

So far we've got 50 moves over 22m, giving 2.27 mpm.

I don't know much about statistics, but I guess I would need an odd number for a proper average. But this is a great start, thanks.
 alx 03 May 2016

Hi Humpty, I am curious - what requires you to need an average figure estimated by different people?
There are so many variables that would confound any credibility to the figure you end up getting.

OP humptydumpty 03 May 2016
In reply to alx:

Hi alx, I'm trying to get a rough feel for how long a training wall problem would be as a route. Do you have any data?
 alx 03 May 2016

It depends on what your trying to mimic and then trying to translate that to your training wall. You can be as specific or as general as you want, but expect the results to change with specificity.

A good example would be a particular problem I am after. I know the holds, the angle of wall, the number of moves, how long I hold each hold for, how locked my arm is on each hold per move. I am able to recreate the above, not in whole but the bits that matter, I get my heart rate really high so I am boxed, then execute the moves.

I have no doubt that this puts me in a great place to climb this boulder but it will not translate very well.

BW
Alx
 Sl@te Head 03 May 2016
 Fraser 03 May 2016

When I had WAAAY too much time to kill and was working a project at the local wall, I did this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/70132285@N07/19316982808/in/photolist-vqYzZJ

Is about 23-25m long maybe and was 50/1 moves long, depending on exactly how you finished and clipped it. An outdoor project I had a few years ago (and of a very similar length) has 54 moves.
 balmybaldwin 03 May 2016

I've certainly been on routes where without changing holds a "move" is required to prepare for the next move e.g. going from a normal to egyptian foot placement on the same hold
 AlanLittle 03 May 2016

> Hi alx, I'm trying to get a rough feel for how long a training wall problem would be as a route. Do you have any data?

I'm no expert, but I suspect you're probably better going by time rather than moves/metres. You can go really fast on a circuit that you've got completely wired, probably even more than on a redpoint attempt on a route.
Donald82 03 May 2016
In reply to AlanLittle:

Great use of tiki-taka. Q2.
Donald82 03 May 2016

> Hi alx, I'm trying to get a rough feel for how long a training wall problem would be as a route. Do you have any data?

Hmmm... I suspect it doesn't convert like that. Longer moves are, all other things equal, harder.
 stp 06 May 2016

No idea and I'm sure it varies massively on different rock types. But it's a really interesting question, an interesting metric to try to measure.
 deepsoup 07 May 2016
In reply to stp:
> No idea and I'm sure it varies massively on different rock types.

And the style of the climb I suppose. Offwidthing springs to mind, where a fairly strenuous move might only udge you an inch or so further up some hideous crack.
 stp 07 May 2016
In reply to deepsoup:

Holy moly! I hadn't thought about offwidthing. Not even sure whether the usual counting of hand movements could even work where it might seem to be one continuous squirm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...