UKC

Accident, Tintern area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 09 May 2016
I live near Tintern. Last week I heard about a nearby climbing accident from some of my neighbours. From what they said, it was over the bank holiday weekend, at Wyndcliffe Quarry by the sound of it, and involved various emergency vehicles and a helicopter. I subsequently saw a small piece in the local press, but details were sketchy. I've been surprised to see nothing about it on here. Does anyone know anything about what caused the accident, and how serious the injuries are?
 Ban1 09 May 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Must of been Saturday. No trouble on Sunday
 luke glaister 09 May 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

Hi Brian.
A friend of mine said to me yesterday did I hear about the accident at wynd cliff. His mate was there climbing and assisted in what way he could. Only second hand information so don't quote me. It was in the right hand sector of wynd cliff. Somebody had lead an E2. Got to the top and said something like I'm up. The next thing he heard was. OK OFF BELAY. And the man fell the full 30 meters.... I won't go into the gory details but not a pretty sight. I think it took an hour and half to get off the crag. Nobody knew directions. Helicopter could not land any where close by. My friends mate at the scene was not impressed with the belayers actions after the extraction ether. Obviously all hear say but that's the version I was told. I have also been waiting for it to show up cause I couldn't find any info.
Luke.
OP bpmclimb 09 May 2016
In reply to luke glaister:

Shit ... Sounds serious
 sideshow84 09 May 2016
In reply to luke glaister:

oh dear!!! I was in Ban y Gor that day and I too have been waiting to see if it was climbing related on here... There were 2 separate helicopters called out, im guessing the first couldn't land and the second looked more like a mountain rescue copter and looked like it hovered directly over Wyndcliff as if winching someone up.... all in all took close to 2 hours!

I hope theyre ok!!!!

In reply to bpmclimb:

Yeh. Not good. There was a lady with the 2 men also who left her number. Mates friend is trying to find out how serious.
Luke.
In reply to sideshow84:

That's sounds correct. From accident to helicopter he reckons 2h 40mins.
Luke.
OP bpmclimb 10 May 2016
In reply to all:

According to the paper the climber's condition was described as "critical but stable". That report is a week old now, of course.
o-o-o 10 May 2016
In reply to bpmclimb:

I was one of the party involved in the accident at Wynd Cliff (right hand) on the Saturday. The injured climber is in hospital, but expected (in time) to make a full recovery.

Luke's post is mostly accurate, but I feel one or two details should be clarified:
- The rescue took a long time because it was a very complicated extraction. There was no bungling of location or directions on the part of the rescue team or the climbers at the crag
- The two other parties at the crag have been in touch with us by text. If they've lost the number or something and want to get in touch, they can get to me via this profile

If you need more information, please PM rather than prolonging this thread.
 luke glaister 10 May 2016
In reply to o-o-o:

Glad to hear the man is OK and going to recover in time. I will let my mate know who's friend was at the scene. Thanks.
Luke.
OP bpmclimb 10 May 2016
In reply to o-o-o:

> If you need more information, please PM rather than prolonging this thread.

Glad to hear the climber is expected to make a full recovery. Could have been a lot worse, by the sound of it. Thanks for posting.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...