UKC

PRODUCT NEWS: Rockfax App Update - Languedoc-Roussillon Added

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 26 May 2016
France Languedoc-Roussillon available on the Rockfax App, 3 kbWe have also released version 1.3 of the App and added the fourth France guidebook Languedoc-Roussillon to the list of available crags.

Read more
 drolex 26 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:
Hi, sorry to be quite pedantic here, but since the French region system is being reorganised, I think it could be a good occasion to rename this guidebook.

Midi-Pyrenees and Languedoc-Roussillon have been merged into a single region. The name has yet to be found but will probably be around the lines of Languedoc or Occitanie (but that's another issue)

A few things that grate me a little with the name of this guidebook:
- half the crags in this guidebook are not in the former Languedoc-Roussillon region (Ardeche, Aveyron, Bouches-du-Rhone)
- none of the crags are actually in Roussillon

I understand that naming a guide is not easy and that you want to stick to an already defined concept that will not always overlap completely with the area of the book (Western Grit depicts some Cheshire crags, and that's fine as they are outliers). However the overlap of the Languedoc-Roussillon region and the crags of the book is not very good, and the title is a bit misleading for someone familiar with French geography.

The concept of Languedoc-Roussillon will disappear soon and that could be a good occasion to rethink the name of the guidebook. More appropriate and accurate names could be found. Languedoc would already be better (as it skips the Roussillon part), Central southern France would be more accurate (not very sexy though), From the Gorges du Tarn to the Ardeche, etc.

Sorry about the rant.
Post edited at 10:37
In reply to drolex:

Thanks for that feedback.

I was aware of this situation and we will be renaming that book when we do a new edition. With this being the App version corresponding to an iexistng book, then it is important to keep our two different format versions in sync though.

Alan
 drolex 26 May 2016
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

Yes of course, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.
 edhawk21 26 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

*Cough* still no android app *cough*
In reply to edhawk21:

I'm working flat out on it. It's coming this year come hell or high water!
In reply to Martin McKenna - Rockfax:

Martin, we're all thinking it - pull your socks up mate
 afshapes 26 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Come on !!! Android !!!!
 Andy303 26 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Dito. Android app, can't wait!!
 Smith42 26 May 2016
In reply to UKC Gear:

Is anyone else left a bit sad by the demise of guide books? Apps leave me cold, i wont be buying.
 afshapes 26 May 2016
In reply to Smith42:

I want both ! Book for the toilet , app for the crag . I'd hate to think they are ditching books

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...