UKC

A set of Totem cams?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 connor 26 Jun 2016
Hi guys, looking for a bit of information from anyone with a set of Totem cams. I'm thinking of buying them to replace a set of dmm 4cu cams but I'm not sure if I would be better with a set of camalots or dragons instead.

Concerns I have are with the range that the cams have across the set and also how they rack as they point the wrong way.

Cheers
 joe.91 26 Jun 2016
In reply to connor:

I used to carry a set of Camalots and Totem Basic's/Aliens and now I've swapped them out for Totem Totem's after a trip to yosemite. I mainly climb in the Lakes/ Wales/ Scotland where cam placements aren't always straight forward like the peak so they're better suited to the irregular placements.

For the peak and cairngorms I'd feel that the Camalots are superior as they are more stable. But I have both now so I just chop an choose.
 Wayne S 26 Jun 2016
In reply to connor:
Most reassuring cam I have ever used, narrow head width, with good holding power and super flexible. New Orange size matches a camalot 2, so you may want a size 3 and 4 in another brand anyway. No issues with racking on harness for me, they sit together fine. Personally I couldn't find a bad thing to say about them. Been using them for about a year, and got hold of the new black and orange sizes as soon as they were released. I climb on most rock types and they even inspire confidence on low friction limestone.

Just to point out that I have no affiliation with totem, however if they wanted to send me a back up set for my glowing review I would be pleased to receive!

Wayne
 Dervey 26 Jun 2016
In reply to connor:
I've got a set on their way as we speak! I'm currently using dragons and mastercams, I'll let you know how they compare. Great to hear other people's experiences.
 Dale Berry 26 Jun 2016
In reply to connor:
They are awesome pieces of kit. They fit when nothing else will and have excellent holding power, even in limestone. The flexibility as well means I am happier to clip straight into them, without a QD, than any other cam. The perception that they can take up more space on your rack doesn't really run true for me either. As has been said only thing is there is no equivalent to a Camalot 3 or 4. I get round that by using a M & L Supercam, but a 3 & 4 Camalot, or new Friend, would see you right there as well. For the smallest sizes I have X Camalots up to and including the blue, rather than the black, though this is more down to how much my yellow X Camalot seems to place, rather than any expected deficiencies in the black Totem.

Finally I wouldn't rule out the new Friends by just looking at Dragons and Camalots. For me they have the best features of both.
Post edited at 22:52
OP connor 27 Jun 2016
In reply to connor:

They are bringing out a new smaller size and a largest size. Do you know what size dragons these are equivalent to?

Thanks again
 Robin Woodward 27 Jun 2016
In reply to connor:

For Dragons I think they're a size 4 (4CU size 3) and smaller than a 00 (and smaller than 4CU 0).

http://www.totemcams.com/totem/

http://dmmclimbing.com/products/dragon-cams/
 db79 27 Jun 2016
In reply to connor:

We've got Totems in the small sizes (up to purple), then C4s above that. The Camalots are really great, but I'd swap our .75, 1 and 2 C4s for the equivalent Totems at the drop of a hat given the chance.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...