UKC

Installing Petzl Couer 12mm stainless steel bolts - how to?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Paul Guerin 29 Jun 2016
I am building a climbing wall for my kids on our 4.5m high back wall and want to hang a rope.

I have bought some Petzl Couer bolts:

http://www.needlesports.com/33737/products/petzl-coeur-hanger-and-bolt-stai...

(I wont use the hangers)

to install a fixe belay anchor:

http://www.needlesports.com/33150/products/fixe-ss-1-2-traditional-anchor.a...

I have read all of the Petzl instructions and technical notices but cannot work out how deep to drill the hole. I have seen reference to 67mm elsewhere but this would appear to be a little shallow given that the design of the bolt means it will pull out a few mm when initially tightened. Any ideas?
Removed User 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Paul Guerin:

Your first link gives the information?

Diameter 12 mm
Weight 135 g
Length 8,5 cm
Drilling depth 8,5 cm
Drilling diameter 12 mm
Resistance to cutting on concrete 50 MPa 25 kN
Pull-out strength in concrete 50 MPa 25 kN
Guarantee 3 years
Packing 20
 Rick Graham 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Paul Guerin:

The hole can be any depth but deeper than the bolt length.

When you sell the house you can then hammer the bolt flush and hide the stud.

Bear in mind the Petzl bolts are designed for use on natural rock/ cliffs not house/garden walls. HTH
 jon 29 Jun 2016
In reply to Paul Guerin:

If you don't need the hangers then buy the bolts separately. The depth of the hole isn't critical. It just needs to be deep enough so that it doesn't bottom out with the Fixe hangers threaded onto it - if it does, it means that when you tighten it it will stick out too far before tightening. A good idea is to drill half a cm deeper than the total length of the bolt so in the event that you get it in the wrong place you can just tap it completely into the hole to hide it. Only the old style 'Spit' bolts are dependant on an exact depth of hole.
 jon 30 Jun 2016
In reply to jon:

> The depth of the hole isn't critical. It just needs to be deep enough so that it doesn't bottom out with the Fixe hangers threaded onto it - if it does, it means that when you tighten it it will stick out too far before tightening.

That should read: if it does, it means that when you tighten it it will stick out too far AFTER tightening.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...