UKC

Minimal insurance for a 9 month European tour

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Plungeman 18 Jul 2016
Looking to get insurance for two people on a 9 month meander around western Europe without breaking the bank, primarily to cover medical and helicopter type expenses.

The best options I can find at the moment are both from the BMC quoting £1200 for a single trip or 2 90 day trips for £154 and just being lucky for 3 months...

Any advice/alternatives?
 PeterBlackler 18 Jul 2016
In reply to Plungeman:
A 9 month meander across Europe sounds great

Have you looked at AAC(UK)?

http://aacuk.org.uk/p-alpenverein-worldwide-service-aws-providing-annual-re...

As used by many in this parish so they may also be able to comment further on suitability

Pete
Post edited at 18:15
 AJM 18 Jul 2016
In reply to PeterBlackler:

I seem to remember one element of AAC is only valid for the first 8 weeks of any given trip. Might be the medical bit.

There's some sort of thing you can get that makes you a patron of the Swiss air ambulance which gives you a potential get out of jail for a Swiss rescue.

We went with backpacker cover and accepted its limitations. We figured most injuries from a sport climbing phase could be self rescued fairly easily.

Our trip split in two with a very brief return to the UK before any serious alpinism would have been done which gave is an option to go for full coverage for the alpine leg had we wished (BMC insurance can only be taken out before you leave the country iirc)
 minty1984 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Plungeman:

Check out true travaller. Me and my missus are currently doing a trip around western europe. We paid £315 each for a very comprehensive cover. Medical, activity and personal belongings. They were the cheapest i could find

Enjoy
 Run_Ross_Run 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Plungeman:

Remember i was in a similar situation a few yrs back and had to rush insurance through. Just went to travel agent, thomson i think, and got it through them.
Had a pretty good level of cover for around 300 quid i think for travelling around europe over a 12 month period with my wife.
 PeterBlackler 19 Jul 2016
In reply to Plungeman:

As below is what I received form the AAC(UK) underwriters when I checked something recently...seems very good if combined with EHIC and standard travel insurance for bagagge, etc but looks like the 8 weeks is going to be an issue for you

BR

Peter

"For valid members of Austrian Alpine Club, rescue costs are covered worldwide at any time for leisure time activities up to EUR 25,000 for accidents in rough terrain, distress on mountain or on water

You will be insured during the first eight weeks of journey abroad (not in the country of permanent residence) with 10,000 EUR for necessary medical treatment (inpatient treatment costs) after accident or illness during leisure or worktime

In these 10,000 EUR are 2,000 EUR included for outpatient treatment costs with an obligatory deduction of 70 EUR

Repatriation is insured without limitation, if organised by Tyrol Air Ambulance"

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...