UKC

Pleasantly surprised

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
baron 19 Jul 2016
I've been climbing at a modest standard for quite a few years and have visited many crags home and abroad.
Never been to Windgather despite living less than 60 miles away.
I'd heard good things about the place but also knew that it had been a very popular place for individuals and groups for many years. I should have visited 30 years ago but never did and I suspected that the place had probably deteriorated into a scruffy, eroded, polished crag.
Today I made the short, in distance, but long, in time taken to drive there, journey and I have to say how very pleasantly surprised I was.
No litter, grass nearly to the base of the crag, shortest walk in since I went to Castle Inn, lovely view, not too polished, good protection and a good selection of lower grade climbs.
Of course the sunshine helped but this was the best outcrop climbing I've done in ages.
I've also heard of this place called Stanage (popular end) - I wonder if this could be as unspoiled?

Pmc
In reply to baron:
Yes Windgather is really nice. It took me a long time to start going there for the same reasons you mentioned and I too was pleasantly surprised by the place. A pleasant amenable crag generously endowed with good positive holds. One of the very best gritstone crags for soloing on.
Post edited at 22:39
 Andy Johnson 20 Jul 2016
In reply to baron:

A lovely crag, and the first place I ever climbed outdoors. I still remember sitting at the top in early evening sunshine, taking in the view.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...