UKC

A walk with no dogs?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Godfinder 26 Jul 2016
Hi,

I'm new to this forum. Can I ask if anyone knows of any countryside walks in the North where dogs are not allowed (due to cynophobia)?

Any Knowledge would be greatly appreciated.
 toad 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Godfinder:
Depends on definition, but many of the north pennine grouse moors have permanent dog exclusions away from rights of way. Mind come the glorious 12th, everyone is excluded until after shooting finishes. But this is probably your best bet for big dog free walks

Also look at some nature reserves. The rspb have many sites where dogs are not permitted.

Your basic problem is that there are no walks involving rights of way where dogs can legally be excluded.
 Chris the Tall 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Godfinder:

Some areas where access is allowed under CROW, but the landowner has stipulated that dogs aren't allowed (to protect the grouse until they are ready to be shot)

Bamford Edge (Peak)
Barden Moor (Yorkshire Dales)

http://boltonabbey.com/your-visit/walks-and-trails/
 bouldery bits 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Godfinder:

A beach walk might be ideal?
Godfinder 26 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

That's interesting. I appreciate the help from everyone. I will look into the Barden walks and see if I can find any dog-free nature reserves.
 Wsdconst 26 Jul 2016
In reply to Godfinder:

Have you tried getting some help ?.
Godfinder 27 Jul 2016
In reply to Wsdconst:

Not really. I've thought about it, I know I couldn't do a self-help program but if there was a therapist I would give it a go. I wouldn't mind live exposure but in a controlled environment with a professional therapist. If anyone comes to know of any it would be helpful.
 Wsdconst 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Godfinder:

> Not really. I've thought about it, I know I couldn't do a self-help program but if there was a therapist I would give it a go. I wouldn't mind live exposure but in a controlled environment with a professional therapist. If anyone comes to know of any it would be helpful.

I think in the long run you'd definitely benefit, there's a hell of a lot of dogs in the world. I hope you do get some help, phobias are strange things, I had a genuine phobia of talking on the phone, it was horrible, I'd get so worked up if I had to phone someone. I hope you didn't think I was taking the piss when with my last answer, since I got two dislikes I think some people may have thought I was. Good luck
 WaterMonkey 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Godfinder:

> Not really. I've thought about it, I know I couldn't do a self-help program but if there was a therapist I would give it a go. I wouldn't mind live exposure but in a controlled environment with a professional therapist. If anyone comes to know of any it would be helpful.

I don't know where you are but you're welcome to come and meet my golden retriever "Bodhi". He's soppy as shit and a few hours playing with him may help. Sometimes he just wants his paw held he's that soppy!
 toad 29 Jul 2016
In reply to Steve-J-E:
My retriever, beano, is also big on hand holding.
Godfinder 30 Jul 2016
In reply to toad:

Thanks for the help guys. I think just talking about it helps . I appreciate the offers. Not to worry Wsdconst, it helped spark the idea. I am going to try find a course which will force me to overcome this phobia god-willing.

wintertree 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Godfinder:

Plenty of walks in the North Pennines where you you won't see anyone, statistically speaking. All access land and there are quite a few hard packed trails for shooting parties and their quad bikes, more often shown on the OS 50k maps than 25k.

Or a bog trot along the weardale / teesdale watershed for example, I've never seen anyone else on one of those. Lot of peat hags though...
Post edited at 09:48
 PPP 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Godfinder:

Just find remote places. Corrour or some bits of Rannoch, Wester Ross, etc. are all dead quiet. Just came back from Corrour this week and haven't seen a single person in 3 days. Maybe because the conditions were fairly poor? Dunno.
 Jenny C 30 Jul 2016
In reply to Godfinder:

Would second suggestion of looking at access land where there are sheep - generally the few dogs you do meet are either on leads or under close control and not too scary. I love moorland walking (usually Peak District) as it is very rare for my fear of dogs to impact on my enjoyment of the day.

Do check the map and avoid access routes around buildings as farm/country dogs can be quite scary if unattended (even if very friendly).

Personally I would avoid beaches completely as they are a place where it is socially acceptable to free run dogs.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...