UKC

Yeti Gaiters and Winter Boots / Crampons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 carr0t 01 Aug 2016

Hey Guys!

Ive been trying to get info on putting yeti gaiters on winter boots and have been struggling to find any meaningful info on:

a) if it is possible to fit them onto winter boots
b) how they would fit onto the boot
c) how crampon compatible they would be
d) are crampons and yeti gaiters mutually exclusive

well, I've fitted a pair onto a boot that takes step in crampons and they have gone on as shown in the images in the link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3EjFGB1haFRWHdKNU1NZnd2Q0E

a) it is possible to fit them on
b) they would best fit just above the sole of the boot if you want crampons, allowing the welts to be exposed
c) they are, depending on how they are fitted
d) they arent, but can be a bit tricky to make work

Overall I do like the concept and it looks like it works quite well. ive got a good seal all round and the rubber holds the gaiter in place extremely well. Cant wait to try this fully in anger! Thought i'd share that with the wider community in case anybody goes trawling through the archives and struggles to find meaningful info in the future.
Post edited at 22:19
 ben b 01 Aug 2016
In reply to carr0t:

I had a pair on my old Asolo plastics for the 90s but switched to OR Crocodiles in the end. Main issue is with any flex the gaiter toes tend to pop off sooner or later. But My old Grivel 2Fs and subsequent G12s fitted fine (these days a non-wire toe bail pair might be better). It was pretty much standard winter wear from about 1980-2000 and any mountaineering book of this vintage will have photos of young men in Koflachs and Yetis.

Yetis got a bad rap when used on more flexible boots, as unless the boots had the "Yeti Attak" groove across the sole they would inevitably flip up. But my old Scarpa Mantas managed a few thousand miles with Yeti Attak gaiters.

They are still pretty heavy but once on a bit of superglue on the welt means they never come off (for good or bad)

b
 jonnie3430 01 Aug 2016
In reply to carr0t:

A. Yes.

B. Fine.

C. Fine, though you realise they must wear out quicker than the rand as the rubber is softer. I lift the edges of my yetis so the crampon rests on the boot.

D. No, but I've come to realise that boots are really good and what I want is to stop snow coming in over the top of the boot, so I use the wee anklet gaiters, or shorties.
OP carr0t 02 Aug 2016
In reply to ben b:

Yes, flex is clearly a big issue. Those things coming off definitely be a bit of a headache!
It's funny that they used to be considered standard winter gear. I've tried to have a look around a bit, but never managed to find very good information. I like the idea of the waterproofness of it all, especially since I always tend to end up with small damp patches here and there, even with gaiters. Added bonus points being easy to hose down and clean up the boot afterwards. I tend to get mine dirty sometimes and I'm lazy :p
 Mountain Llama 02 Aug 2016
In reply to carr0t:

just glue them on to the rand onyour boots with silicone sealant used for baths etc. This will make them very secure.

Davey
 top cat 02 Aug 2016
In reply to carr0t:

I'm at work so having to use an unreliable memory, but I think I have 11 pairs of winter boots with Yetis attached, ranging from ski M / tele ski boots, B2 and B3's and BC Xc boots. [ I also use them on summer B1 boots]
I use crampons with them all except the Bc Xc ski boots.
They never come off once glued, I use ShoeGoo which allows you to remove them from time to time, but never fails on the hill. Shoe Goo is an excellent repair glue and you can use it to reinforce the toes etc.

On some boots I have to glue the rand up a little from the boot welt in order that the crampon bails fit, but on my B2's I use strap crampons so tuck the Yeti rand right down onto the welt.
OP carr0t 03 Aug 2016
Gluing up the range sounds sensible. I'll give that one a try. Thanks guys!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...