UKC

New to bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climbwhenready 08 Aug 2016
Putting this in "Starting out" because it's "starting out bouldering", even though I climb!

Thinking of getting a bouldering pad when I move up north. I'm a wimp and don't want to hurt myself. Any tips, apart from "put the mat down, start climbing" ?

I guess I want the thickest and biggest mat I can carry/fit in the car?
 balmybaldwin 08 Aug 2016
In reply to climbwhenready:
Not necessarily - the thicker and bigger the mat, the more likely you are to turn an ankle. (Also a thinner/smaller mat will stop you becoming complacent "the mat will save me" - it doesn't always)

The key thing as a beginner is placing the mat so it's below the place you are likely to fall off (judging where that is isn't always easy especially as a beginner), identify and cover hazards (or be aware of "which way to fall"), generally try to have a spotter is a good idea. Learn to fall on purpose - i.e. if you are sketching a bit on a move that could see you fall badly if it was unexpected, sometimes it's better to jump off in a controlled manner to avoid a hazard.

Don't forget your beanie and to leave your tShirt at home
Post edited at 15:41
 zimpara 08 Aug 2016

Only ever hurt myself bouldering, I'd stick to ropes
 danm 08 Aug 2016

You'll have to decide between a taco style or folding pad. Pro's and con's to each. A bigger pad means more options for highballing, but I'd start off with something fairly standard like a DMM Highball pad which is a good allrounder. Make sure you have a soft brush for cleaning the holds and a carpet or rag to clean your shoes. By all means wear a beanie but for going out in winter when it's boss connies you'll want a warm duvet jacket and a flask (hot honey, lemon and root ginger works for me).

Moving Skipton way you'll have some of the best bouldering in the world to hand - get stuck in!
 slab_happy 08 Aug 2016

Put the mat down, think about where you're likely to fall if you come off the problem at different points, move the mat ...

Some problems are going to be iffy unless you have a spotter and/or a second mat (or, in some cases, three spotters and five mats). If you're going bouldering on your own, you have to develop your own judgement about what you're okay with trying and what you're not.

Grab a copy of the second edition of John Sherman's "Better Bouldering" (the second edition is massively expanded over the first one). The "Safety" chapter is gold and has tips on spotting, mat placement and so on which I've never seen elsewhere.

Have you bouldered indoors, or is it all new? If the latter, you need to learn how to land: aim to land with both feet evenly underneath you, bend your knees, and crumple backwards as needed. If the former, just be aware that portable mats tend to be harder than indoor ones -- they work, but it's not such a nice squishy landing (if your portable mat gets squishy, you may get hurt). And also that you don't want to crumple so enthusiastically that you crack your head on a rock behind you.

Be prepared for the mat to suddenly look a lot smaller than it did at ground level.
In reply to slab_happy:

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies. I've bouldered indoors quite a lot, but I see outdoors as a different game - the squishy thing is no longer the thickness of my arm length and the size of the building.

I guess the take home message is think about falling and place mat appropriately, then fall appropriately.

I could say "don't fall" but I will fall, hence why I won't be highballing.

I'm not trying to prove something so tops stay on.

Thanks guys.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...