UKC

Hodge close quarry to Colwith force?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Red Rover 15 Aug 2016
I'm on holiday in the lakes and need an gentle but non boring walk for people who don't want to walk more than about 4 miles, I was thinking of going from Hodge CLose quarry to Colwith force and back again in a loop, a bit like what's shown here https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/tarn-hows-and-coniston/trails/hodge-close-... but turning right near point 9 to get to Colwith force. How far is it to get to the waterfall, and what's Hodge Close Quarry like for parking?

Cheers
 Bulls Crack 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

I think you'd have to turn right near point 10 Stang End and follow a right of way not clearly marked on that map to the falls about 1km away

Plenty of parking at Hodge Close
 digby 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Red Rover:
Can't really see the route on that map but there is a lovely path around the edge of the quarry which then dips down at the north end and goes through a giant arch in the quarry workings to the edge of the water. Spectacular, far from boring and nice and short! Well worth adding in.

I've always been on a bike but I suspect you have to pay for parking. I could be wrong though.
Post edited at 20:08
OP Red Rover 15 Aug 2016
In reply to digby:

Cool thanks. Is there a toilet at the car park or near it?
 Bulls Crack 15 Aug 2016
In reply to Red Rover:

Don't think so. Coniston public loos maybe the nearest?
In reply to Red Rover:

I'd say that looks good. Cathedral quarry is well worth a look round, take a torch for the longer through route

Could you not persuade people to loop through Skelwith bridge for a massive cake at Chester in return for a bit more distance
 digby 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Red Rover:
Only if you consider the great outdoors as a toilet. Which in some places it is

It is a (quite large) place where you can park rather than a car park. Ambleside is the nearest town.
Post edited at 21:49
 digby 16 Aug 2016
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Don't think so. Coniston public loos maybe the nearest?

If you have to go that far you are going to be in trouble.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...