UKC

Terra Nova Laser seam sealing/pole cover

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gethin_allen 19 Aug 2016
I've just acquired a Terra nova Laser large 2 with a silnylon fly sheet and I'm wondering if I seal the seams on the pole sleeves can I do away with the pole covers?
Secondly, there are various reports online from people mixing their own seam sealant rather than coughing up for McNett Silnet which is apparently too thick to get a good finish with, Has anyone done this? what silicone did you use? I guess it has to be a neutral cure rather than a acetoxy cure so you can thin it for smooth application.

Thanks,

Gethin.
 anthonylewis 19 Aug 2016
In reply to gethin_allen:

I put seam seal on mine (photon - but also sil nylon) and I've not noticed it leaking. Then again I use it only for mountain marathons and use a bivi bag for extra warmth, so I wouldn't guarantee this method...
 leon 1 19 Aug 2016
Best way Ive found with Silnet to get a good thin seam coating is to use a small stiff artists brush (or cut off at least half the the bristles on the small brush supplied to get it down to a better and stubbier shape) Something like this Maybe a bit shorter so that the bristles are fairly rigid
https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/6585909_f260.jpg
Dab a small amount of Silnet onto the seam and then use the brush to carefully paint it down the seam. You can get a fairly thin coating this way. Its an idea to try this on some paper or similar first until youre confident enough to go for it. 1 tube of Silnett should easily do a flysheets seams
Post edited at 16:30
OP gethin_allen 19 Aug 2016
In reply to anthonylewis:

Thanks for the info. I was going to seal it and then give it a hose down but it's too big to pitch in the garden.
 IPPurewater 19 Aug 2016

I've had good result with ordinary bathroom Si sealant mixed 1 to 1 with white spirit.
 Dr.S at work 19 Aug 2016
In reply to IPPurewater:

As regards the black cover - I think that adds quite a bit of structural support, so would keep on for rough weather
 DaveHK 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:
> As regards the black cover - I think that adds quite a bit of structural support, so would keep on for rough weather

My thoughts too. I put a guyline gripper on the cord of the black cover and I now leave it on the tent. Much easier.
Post edited at 20:08
 jezb1 19 Aug 2016
In reply to Dr.S at work:

> As regards the black cover - I think that adds quite a bit of structural support, so would keep on for rough weather

This ^^

Don't ditch the pole cover, the guy points makes a massive difference.
OP gethin_allen 19 Aug 2016
In reply to jezb1:

I did notice the guy lines on the pole cover and was thinking I could just tie them onto the tabs where the pole cover ties on. Maybe I'll do this for fine weather use and keep the pole covers for worse weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...