UKC

Steep ascents with heavy packs as close to midlands as possible

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pkrynicki1984 22 Aug 2016
Some guys from work want to walk the steepest possible walking routes but with as little travelling as possible in the car.

Has anybody got any suggestions in the peak? all the steepest ones I can think of are in Snowdonia / Lakes (Pen yr Ole Wen etc)

linking of multiple ascent / decents could also make up for lack of climbing i'm sure! They are training for a Pyrenees 4-5 day trek...Walking with no climbing routes please.

Cheers

d_b 22 Aug 2016
In reply to Pkrynicki1984:

When I lived in Sheffield the done thing was to spend all day walking up and down win hill.

There are a few suitable hills in Shropshire as well, but I'm being a bit crap and failing to remember any names at the moment.
mysterion 22 Aug 2016
Point to point across the valleys in Long Mynd - Church Stretton, Haddon Hill, Yearlet, Grindle, Ragleth, Church Stretton.

End to end along the Malverns, North Hill to beyond British Camp, then back again. Every top.
Post edited at 17:29
 lotoad 22 Aug 2016
Spend all day walking up and down the Wrekin surely...!
Post edited at 17:27
 Mikkel 22 Aug 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Second Winhill
 Ramblin dave 22 Aug 2016
You can come up with some nice sadistic routes in the Peak without getting too repetitive by taking a nice walking area and going across the grain of the land rather than with it like you normally would. So a walk from Monsall Head to Youlgreave and back can potentially drop in and out of Lathkill Dale twice and Monsal Dale three or four times - mostly by fairly nasty steep routes - if you pick your route. Similarly, you can do Kinder and Win Hill from Castleton, taking in Mam Tor on the way and Lose Hill on the way back, or similar things between Stoney Middleton and Shatton.
Post edited at 17:42
 Dan Arkle 22 Aug 2016
In reply to Mikkel:

And the wonderful sounding Win-Lose-Win combination
 Chris Harris 22 Aug 2016

Repeated laps of Thorpe Cloud should do it.
 malky_c 22 Aug 2016
In reply to mysterion:

> Point to point across the valleys in Long Mynd - Church Stretton, Haddon Hill, Yearlet, Grindle, Ragleth, Church Stretton.

That. Throw in Caer Caradoc Hill as well - short but steep.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...