UKC

CMD in reverse, uphill bog fest at the end?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Arete 23 Aug 2016

I've always done the normal route of CMD first then up onto the Ben, down to the loch and back across to the Alt a Mhuilinn track. Walking from the loch to the track is usually pretty boggy but at least it's downhill, has anyone done this in reverse? How was it?

Reason asking is that I'll be taking someone who's priority is doing the Ben, then arete and down if they're feeling fresh enough. As we'll park at the vis centre the only concern is a hideous slog uphill through the bog to half way lochan! It looks to be about 200m vert between the track and the loch...
Post edited at 09:22
In reply to redrook:

Eh?! From the visitor centre in Glen Nevis you'll be following the normal route up, the bog-free (stony) tourist path. If the summit is the priority then just walk all the way up this, it's the most straightforward way to the top.

If there's time you could then do the CMD Arete in reverse, as you've said. Then follow the rough trail downhill from Carn Beag Dearg at the northern end of the ridge, down to the allt a' mhuilinn path. Cross the burn, slog up the bog to Lochan Meall an t-suidhe, then you're on good paths all the way back down to Glen Nevis.

It's also possible to cut downhill early, from Carn Dearg Meadhonach to the CIC hut kind of area, but a tolerance for descending very steep scree and grass slopes is required. From just downhill of the CIC you then follow the obvious traversey path under Carn Dearg, which is quite a dramatic way to walk out from the corrie. Up and over past the lochan and down the tourist track to the car park...

...unless you meant the North Face Car Park? In which case yes, you'll be ascending the soggy stuff to the lochan. I've never been up it but other than starting the day with possibly wet feet I don't imagine it would be that bad. It's definitely not the quickest/easiest way to the summit however.
 tony 23 Aug 2016
In reply to redrook:

If you do the CMD arete in reverse, you miss the spectacular nature of the views into Coire Leis.
 Sharp 23 Aug 2016
In reply to redrook:

If you want to go in from the North Face Car park (and presuming they don't want to do ledge route > summit > decend CMD) then it might be easier going to continue up the allt a' mhuilinn and then cut across when you're higher up instead of going diagonally through the bog.

As Dan says it will be a lot nicer and easier going on the Pony path. The two worst bits of the allt a' mhuilinn path imo are the first very steep bit and the bog and it sounds like they're the only two bits you'd be doing! You'll want to get back to your car in Glen Nevis so after finishing the CMD head almost directly west off Carn Beag Dearg and then when the half way lochan comes into view you should be able to make a bee line for it and head back down the pony track from there.
OP Arete 23 Aug 2016

Sorry Dan, I don't think I've made my question clear. Doing CMD in reverse after summiting the Ben, starting at the vis centre, not the NF car park. So yes we'll be going up the pony track to the Ben summit. I'm talking about the way back, after CMD.

@Ben

"after finishing the CMD head almost directly west off Carn Beag Dearg and then when the half way lochan comes into view you should be able to make a bee line for it and head back down the pony track from there."

Yes that was the plan, just wondering what the bog fest from track to lochan is like in reverse, seems like a bit of a hike up to the lochan. I've only done it the other way round (last time in the dark, in winter) so my memory of it isn't perfect.
Post edited at 10:17
 summo 23 Aug 2016
In reply to redrook:
> Yes that was the plan, just wondering what the bog fest from track to lochan is like in reverse, seems like a bit of a hike up to the lochan. I've only done it the other way round (last time in the dark, in winter) so my memory of it isn't perfect.

drop of the hill early, just below CIC hut, cross stream, pick up traversing track up and out to the lochain.

descending nearly as far as the forest before heading up towards the lochain would be the worst of all options.

EDIT; option C, park at the very top of Glen Nevis and have altogether wilder day out.
Post edited at 10:35
OP Arete 23 Aug 2016
In reply to summo:

Thank you! Just as I suspected. I think we'll leave option C for another day.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...