UKC

Tour Of Britain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 coinneach 04 Sep 2016

Starts today in Glasgow . . . . Me and Bianchi Boy are heading over to Castle Douglas today to catch ( hopefully) a full on sprint finish.

Riding over to Armathwaite tomorrow too to catch the peleton coming through.

Anyone else have viewing plans?
Post edited at 09:58
 elsewhere 04 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:
Nothing so energetic - we'll be off to Glasgow City Centre in 10 mins to see the start.
 marky 04 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

Gonna see them off in Carlisle then try and catch them at Whinlatter pass
OP coinneach 04 Sep 2016
In reply to marky:

Bianchi boy was well chuffed today to see the finish and get autographs from Wiggins and Viepel . . . Didn't bother Cav though as he didn't look very happy!
 Yanis Nayu 04 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

I'm gonna go to Bristol on Saturday and see the double stage. Be good to see more than 3 seconds of the peloton whizzing past. It will also be good to see it without the mind-numbing itv commentary.
 Dave the Rave 04 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

> Starts today in Glasgow . . . . Me and Bianchi Boy are heading over to Castle Douglas today to catch ( hopefully) a full on sprint finish.

> Riding over to Armathwaite tomorrow too to catch the peleton coming through.

> Anyone else have viewing plans?

Yep. I'm going to watch them going over Moel Famau at Clwyd Gate. I've got a Borat suit and Viking horns. Look out for me on Tv.
 Jim 1003 05 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:
It's like watching paint dry....the sooner they f..k off out the Lakes along with the associated traffic jam the better...
Post edited at 00:33
OP coinneach 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Aye, a total shocker that an event should bring revenue, visitors and publicity to three towns ( Carlisle, Cockermouth, Kendal ) which were devestated by floods less than 12 months ago

Bastards!
 cousin nick 05 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

Haytor on Friday for me. Park up in Princetown, ride to Haytor to see the finish of the climb, ride back via the Warren House Inn for a pint.
Beats working!
N
OP coinneach 05 Sep 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

Well that was fun, caught the start of the breakaway at Armathwaite , rode home. Cake, tea and the rest of the stage on the telly.

Definitely beats working!
 Jim 1003 05 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:
Saw it in the traffic jam at Portinscale coming back from Borrowdale, boring as f++ck, don't think any visitors hung around long either....
Post edited at 15:01
OP coinneach 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

Never mind. At least you'll be able to get back under your bridge now.
 mike123 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:
Saw it in the "excellent atmosphere " at " whinlatter " coming back from "dropping the kids at school " , "great spectacle " don't think any "miserable gits" hung around long either....
Good lord above man . Even the blooming sun came out,
Great crowd at whinlatter . Loads of people enjoying the spectacle. Hopefully some good heli shots on the tv. Good chance of attracting visitors , or reminding folk to visit .
To be honest , a bit like you , I would sooner knowbody ever came to visit the lakes and just left me and my mates alone to enjoy it . But then I remember the 1000s of people whose jobs rely on tourism .
Post edited at 16:27
In reply to Jim 1003:

F+ck only has one + !
 Lemony 05 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

What a fantastic stage. Can't remember seeing racing like that in the ToB. Great win for Vermote and massive gaps already, heading down to Wales..
In reply to mike123:

Great event, fortunate to be seen through many north lakes villages, followed up on live TV fantastic racing, great scenery. Pity about the f_ckwits standing all over the road at Kirkstone - it was hard enough for the competitors and support vehicles in the visibility anyway.
Balls of steel for that descent from the top in the wet and fog.
DC
Lusk 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> It's like watching paint dry....the sooner they f..k off

A bit like listening to you

I love watching the cycling if only for the scenery, so many places I need to go now!
OP coinneach 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

It was a proper day of racing.

Wonder what the conversation Cavendish had halfway up Kirkstone was about?
 abr1966 05 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

I'm riding to congleton for the start tomorrow and a bit later up to the cat and fiddle...maybe catch it somewhere else in between as well!
 Yanis Nayu 05 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

> It was a proper day of racing.

> Wonder what the conversation Cavendish had halfway up Kirkstone was about?

I think he was telling him he looked like an emu.
OP coinneach 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I think he was telling him he was a knob.
 nufkin 05 Sep 2016
In reply to Jim 1003:

> boring as f++ck

You're probably doing something wrong then
 John Ww 05 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

Certainly didn't look as if Cav was wishing him a pleasant day...anybody any wiser?

JW
 neilh 06 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:
Never watched anything like this before. Going to ride over to tatton and watch at the feed station and then find somewhere near the finish. Not sure what to expect. I assume that you can ride on the roads if they are closed prior to the race. Or do they stop you riding?
Post edited at 08:14
In reply to coinneach:

Whilst Jims protestations are somewhat extreme, not everyone enjoys watching cycling, myself included and dont get me started on golf.

Ive tried cycling and watching cycling and found neither very enjoyable.
 wercat 06 Sep 2016
In reply to Dave Cumberland:

Rode down to Aira Force to watch which was great but after heading up Kirkstone the weather was grim to say the least. I was pretty disappointed by the selfishness of the spectators (sadly many fellow cyclists) who totally blocked the view just below the top barriers till they parted to let vehicles and racers up. I suppose you can't expect better of anyone these days, utterly selfish and bad mannered. Gits
 wercat 06 Sep 2016
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

that's fine, but why can't he just find a thread that does interest him?
 wercat 06 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

I think Ray MacHaffie would have described it as "spoke in French"
In reply to wercat:

> that's fine, but why can't he just find a thread that does interest him?

Agreed although he seems to think that this thread was appropriate to express his frustration about one possible downside of the tour.
 Lemony 06 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

Great ride by Stannard today, giving it the full Big Engine treatment. Fantastic crowds and a great stage too, lots of narrow, technical roads and some classic climbs.
 Chris the Tall 06 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

Wiggins having fun yesterday http://road.cc/content/news/203723-wiggo-does-froome-and-runs-tour-britain-...

Bit pissed off that a combination of bad weather and illness meant I didn't get to do the struggle as planned this year, but reassuring to see that it's not only when I'm there that the weather is horrible.
In reply to coinneach:
Can anyone tell me what the small device is that many of the bikes have attached to the inside chainstay?
 nniff 08 Sep 2016
In reply to keith-ratcliffe:

Usually a cadence counter - the number of crank revolutions/minute
 Mr Fuller 08 Sep 2016

Or it can be the battery for the dérailleur.
 Yanis Nayu 08 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

Great stage today. I'm struggling to think of anyone who looks cooler on the bike than Jack Bauer.
 Lemony 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Fantastic stage, Every thirty seconds for the last half hour I switched from thinking they'd make it to thinking they had no chance. Only 10m in it at the line.
 Yanis Nayu 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Lemony:

Me too. I mostly expected the catch, but there was a lull when Lotto stopped riding and before Stannard went to the front. I think that probably won it.
 tim000 08 Sep 2016

cadence sensor
OP coinneach 08 Sep 2016
In reply to tim000:

What a brilliant example for a team bus to set.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/37309613
 Yanis Nayu 08 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

> What a brilliant example for a team bus to set.

That was unbelievable. If I was the cyclist and I'd could it up, there'd have been some cleat shaped dents in the side of it.
In reply to tim000:
Thanks - I did a bit of Googling and worked out that it was probably that but two people have now confirmed it. With built in strain gauges on the cranks you can derive power output.
 nufkin 08 Sep 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I'm struggling to think of anyone who looks cooler on the bike than Jack Bauer.

Quite a lot of riders trying to look cool off the bike, it seems, watching the pre-race interviews. There's a particular fashion for what I like to think of as the 'Glue Sniffer' hairstyle, which surely gets ruined as soon as the helmet goes on.
I blame Marcel Kittel
 Yanis Nayu 08 Sep 2016
In reply to nufkin:

I think the technical term is the disconnected undercut.

I also think I've got a bit of a man crush on Kittel, so there must be something in it
 nufkin 09 Sep 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> I also think I've got a bit of a man crush on Kittel

He does have a very appealing smile
 Yanis Nayu 09 Sep 2016
In reply to nufkin:

> He does have a very appealing smile

And great hair...
 Yanis Nayu 10 Sep 2016
In reply to coinneach:

How poor was Wout Poels' celebration?! He needs to work on that.
Lusk 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I think it was because he was totally f*cked!
 nufkin 10 Sep 2016
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> How poor was Wout Poels' celebration?! He needs to work on that.

Where's Sagan when you need him?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...