UKC

Best way to access money in Europe

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jon Thorne 29 Sep 2016
Hey everyone,

Hoping for some advice on the best way to get access to money while in Europe. Was planning to use a Metro bank current account but because we're going away for 12 months they would block the account after 6 months. Just wondering how other people have been accessing their money while away long term?

Cheers,
Jon
 cragtyke 29 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Thorne:

If you're only going to be making purchases and drawing out cash in euros a caxtonfx card would do the job. There are no charges for atm withdrawals or purchases, you preload the card and can top it up as and when needed.
 Lemony 29 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Thorne:

We used a Nationwide debit card with no commission on withdrawals, a Nationwide credit card with no commission on purchases and a Revolut card that does perfect interbank rate up to £500 a month for 6 months earlier this year.
 subtle 29 Sep 2016
In reply to cragtyke:

> If you're only going to be making purchases and drawing out cash in euros a caxtonfx card would do the job. There are no charges for atm withdrawals or purchases, you preload the card and can top it up as and when needed.

Did similar with a fairfx card, also take your bank card though in case you need cash in a non euro country.
You can top up the fairfx card from your bank account using you mobile/computer whilst abroad.
 mike123 29 Sep 2016
In reply to cragtyke:

> If you're only going to be making purchases and drawing out cash in euros a caxtonfx card would do the job. There are no charges for atm withdrawals or purchases, you preload the card and can top it up as and when needed.

And using the app on an iPhone or iPad and I'm guessing android , it's very easy to top up . A couple of clicks, card topped and balance available . Highly recommended . I think I read about it on here some years ago and have used it loads since .
 summo 29 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Thorne:

Compare their exchange rates first, as many zero fee cards give poorer rates, whilst others with fee offer better. It's a minefield. Just avoid individual small value card transactions with a standard UK card as you pay a card fee every time.
 sopaz 29 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Thorne:

You can pay using a Halifax Clarity credit card and get the Mastercard FX rate (about the best you'll ever get). You can also withdraw cash for free, but you will pay interest on the cash from the day of withdrawal until you clear the card (although this will probably work out cheaper than many other options).

The Nationwide current accounts are a good option for drawing cash from an ATM (again at Mastercard FX rate) but I believe you now only get this on the account you pay £10 per month for...
 mark catcher 29 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Thorne: Barclaycard have currently got a zero fee transaction charge on both purchases and cash withdrawals and their exchange rate seems ok too. Just used it for last few months, including a toll fee of just forty cents without any problems. Obviously, you get some grace before you need to settle the bill too and can do that online.

CurlyStevo 29 Sep 2016
In reply to sopaz:

yeah standard nationwide flax account is £1 per withdrawal and 2% above visa exchange rate so on £500 worth taken in £100 increments you'd loose £15 which is not so bad IMO. You'd save £5 with a post office travel money card but then changing unused money back costs if you want to do that so may not work out much better.

The nationwide credit card is free to purchase as long as you have used it sufficiently during the year in the UK.
 colinakmc 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Lemony:

Beware this ŵith the ordinary N/wide account, I'm sure they started charging about four or five years ago. I have a Halifax Clarity credit card (as recommended by moneysavingexpert. com) which is cheap and effective for spending as long as you pay it off.
 Lemony 30 Sep 2016
In reply to colinakmc:

It's the FlexPlus. Which also covered our insurance.
 paulmck 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Lemony:

Another vote for Revolut here. Interbank FX rates and you can use it like a normal debit card (with out any fees) to stay under the £500/month cash withdrawal point after which they start chaging fees for withdrawals.
 garethb 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Thorne:

Another vote for Halifax Clarity Card - Its never been turned down regardless of country for either cash withdrawal or using to purchase direct, and the exchange rate has always been as good as you can get to my knowledge. You can pay off the account online as you go, as and when you take cash out so never really pay any interest.
 guy127917 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Thorne:

Would highly recommend the Revolut card (just install the app on iphone/android).

The card is free, and then it's free to withdraw from ATMs and use for transactions, uses mastercard rate, and has a load of security features linked to the app. In addition you can hold a euro or usd balance in addition to gbp.
 guy127917 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Jon Thorne:

Wiuld highly recommend the Revolut card (just install the app on iphone/android).

The card is free, and then it's free to withdraw from ATMs and use for transactions, uses mastercard rate, and has a load of security features linked to the app. In addition you can hold a euro or usd balance in addition to gbp.
 minty1984 01 Oct 2016
In reply to Jon Thorne:

Me and my partner are currently travelling Europe and have been for around 7 months now. We have been using an Even Card. It is basically a pre-paid credit card. You add money online and then can withdraw from any cash machine or can make purchases in shops etc like a normal credit card. It works in all countries with all currencies and the exchange rates have always been very good. The card costs £50 per year.

I have money in my UK bank account which I transfer to my Even card as and when I need it

The only thing to note is that it will not work in any un-manned/automatic payment machines, for example toll payments or automatic petrol pumps.
 HeMa 02 Oct 2016
In reply to Jon Thorne:

Visa Debit, from any bank you can get a good deal. Perhaps Visa Credit is also smart, as at some parts they get clueless with Debit (albeit it is gettin' a lot better than around 5 years or so ago).
 alasdair19 02 Oct 2016
In reply to Jon Thorne:

the best deal I could find was a halifax credit card. no fees on debit card transactions or cash withdrawals. it'll get expensive quickly should you not pay it.of on time though. Tibet round this you can per load it with credit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...