UKC

Uses for an old VF friction plate?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 d_b 30 Sep 2016
My old petzl Zyper-Y is well beyond retirement age and was looking a bit worn so I decided to finally get around to chopping it up. I'm left with a pristine friction plate (with no rope), and a couple of carabiners in reasonably good nick and no real idea what to do with them.

Anyone got any thoughts?

pec 30 Sep 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Replace the rope with new and use it as a Via Ferrata kit perhaps?
OP d_b 01 Oct 2016
In reply to pec:

I considered it, but I already have a replacement. I'm going over to the screamer type as they are a bit smaller and less faffy.

Maybe I could wait until the next "I'm going on a vf holiday, am I OK making my own kit out of bootlaces?" type thread
 Timmd 01 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

You could sell.give them away to somebody with little funds?
 Cheese Monkey 01 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Super safe belay plate for newbies
 SenzuBean 01 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I'd be slightly wary: https://www.petzl.com/security/sport/recall/rope-friction-lanyard?language=...

Complementary information: After having conducted tests on extensively used rope friction based Petzl ZYPER via ferrata sets, Petzl have also observed an increase of the dynamic impact forces. However, there is no failure of the Petzl ZYPER thanks to the high tensile strength, double layer construction of the webbing that guarantees a high resistance of the Petzl ZYPER Via Ferrata set. The increase of the dynamic impact force is a well-known phenomena affecting all friction based Via Ferrata sets, but in the case of the Petzl ZYPER it remains below the maximum impact force you could experience when falling on a dynamic rope when rock climbing. Consequently no specific precaution is required.

Now I don't have a clue which parts they mean - but it might not be so simple to replace the rope part, if the rope you chopped was covered in this special double-layer webbing. Seems this was one of the few VF kits that wasn't recalled a few years ago.
OP d_b 01 Oct 2016
In reply to SenzuBean:

The rope seemed to be fairly standard rope when I cut through it, although I am certain there are specific thickness, stiffness and friction requirements. I would say it was softer and more flexible than most climbing ropes.

The double thickness webbing seems to be the construction of the Y lanyard - it consists of a length of tape that has been dubled back on itself and sewn for the full length so there is no specific weak spot where the carabiners connect. Not that I would expect a genuine weak spot in another design given the high quality of stitching you normally get in climbing kit.

The issue causing kits to be recalled was a failure due to using a stretchy tape which had elastic fibers alongside the nylon warp fibers. The elastic abraded the nylon warp and made it weak. These days most of them seem to use bog standard tubular tape with elastic running up the middle instead, which is heavier but much safer. Zyper-Y predates such fancy features anyway.

I am currently thinking that chucking the plate away and giving away the carabiners might be the best bet.
 Timmd 01 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

I think cavers adapt them to be used as 'cows tails', but I don't know anything more than that.
 top cat 02 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Some cavers do indeed use them for cows tails but they are not common. The krabs make excellent CT krabs for caving if kept clean / maintained.

I've been using them for the past 4 years when caving but have recently decided to drop the friction plate, but retain the krabs.......................just personal thing really as it was working fine.

New 11mm rope, ebay under 'caving' and you'll get a buyer. might even be me!

TC
OP d_b 02 Oct 2016
In reply to top cat:

I have a taker for the plate, but still have the krabs if you want them. They are a slightly unusual design with a wire trigger. Pain in the ass to fit to a pre sewn vf kit as you need to take the thing apart and reassemble under tension but would be fine if you were making your own.

Drop me an email and I will send you a pic.
 Toerag 03 Oct 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

Are the krabs K-rated? I have some non-K-rated ones on my ZyperY which I'd like to replace with K-rated ones.
OP d_b 03 Oct 2016
In reply to Toerag:

I will take a close look at the writing on them this evening. They are clearly designed as VF krabs, so it is likely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...