UKC

Hunted on Channel 4

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MtnGeekUK 27 Oct 2016
Was there a thread on here talking about this recently?

Have used the forum search, but no joy!
 ClimberEd 27 Oct 2016
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

Don't know but it's ace.

A little digging has told me that there are some 'silly rules' they have to follow though which help them get caught such as having to move around frequently (confirmed) and making a minimum contact with family or friends (unconfirmed but implied). Would be more interesting to make it rule free (aside from staying within the law)

jkarran 27 Oct 2016
In reply to ClimberEd:

> A little digging has told me that there are some 'silly rules' they have to follow though which help them get caught such as having to move around frequently (confirmed) and making a minimum contact with family or friends (unconfirmed but implied). Would be more interesting to make it rule free (aside from staying within the law)

Wouldn't make for very good television though would it, someone just packed a sack full of food, fuel and a sleeping bag to sit out a month deep underground. Not to mention the poor cameraman!
jk
 Max factor 27 Oct 2016
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

it's all a bit of a sham. Scripted reality is probably the closest description for it. e.g. when you see them catching someone on CCTV or on ANPR, it's simulated rather than using the same capability the police would have. The chases and near misses are carefully engineered, otherwise going off-grid would be a doddle.

hmmm, how long could I put up with the stench of piss in robin hood's cave?
 richprideaux 27 Oct 2016
In reply to ClimberEd:

> Don't know but it's ace.

> A little digging has told me that there are some 'silly rules' they have to follow though which help them get caught such as having to move around frequently (confirmed) and making a minimum contact with family or friends (unconfirmed but implied). Would be more interesting to make it rule free (aside from staying within the law)

All of this and more...

Loads of people do it quite successfully each and every year. It's quite easy as long as you pay in cash, use anonymous public transport, stay away from cities and wear a hat... UK Border Force spend a fair amount of time and money NOT finding lots of people who do this.
 Dax H 27 Oct 2016
In reply to ClimberEd:

I wonder how random the random members of the public that help them are.
Fred picks a runner up and they borrow his phone to ring mum.
Unknown phone rings mum so the hunters smell a rat and track down the owner of the phone and where they have been using cell site analysis and follow their car using anpnr.
No way would that be allowed without permission from the random stranger.

I half wonder if ringing home activates the camera man to send in tracking information.
 ablackett 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Dax H:

Some info on the rules here.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/hunted/articles/all/series-2-guide/4836

Basically as has been said, they need to remain on the move, use family and friends and goof around to throw the hunters off the scent. All their location and phone call info is passed to an independent adjudicator who passes it to the hunters if they ask for it, and if he thinks the police would be allowed to get it.

So if the hunters have said they want to put a tap on Person A's phone, and then the contestant calls Person A, the hunters get the details. The CCTV works by the camera man filming a bit of "cctv" footage each time he passes a location where it would be, but it only gets passed to the hunters if they ask for it specifically. Not perfect, but it makes entertaining tv.
 mrphilipoldham 27 Oct 2016
In reply to MtnGeekUK:

There was an interesting podcast series done called 'Missing' by author Tim Weaver. Well worth a listen. There was second follow up series where he actually tried to stay 'missing'.
OP MtnGeekUK 27 Oct 2016
In reply to ablackett:

Thanks for the link, and to everyone commenting.

Having watched this series and last, the premise seemed quite straightforward, especially to us 'outdoor types' - 30 day bothy tour, or ramble round the Cairngorms?

Plus better odds of being 100k up than the lotto these days.

Although now reading some of the 'rules', now not so sure...
 Dax H 27 Oct 2016
In reply to ablackett:

That was an interesting read, I figured the cameraman was in on it some how but I never thought of the independent adjudicator.
It also explains why they all take the risk to contact home.

ablackett 27 Oct 2016
In reply to Dax H:

I think they are only allowed to take out £50 from the ATM at a time or something like that also.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...