UKC

Ford Focus estate and boulder pads

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 CMcBain 15 Nov 2016
Im heading to albarracin over winter, last time i was there I drove my van as it was a long trip. This time I'm flying and renting a car with a few others. Just wondering if anyone with a focus estate reckons if it's possible to fit 5 pads in the boot with 5 people in the front as well?

Cheers
 snoop6060 15 Nov 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

Haha!

Sorry fella, but I seriously doubt it. I assume you all have bags too.

I have a Passat estate and whilst maybe a focus is bigger but no way it's that much bigger (or at all?) We just about got 3 pads plus 4 people in my passat. And that was a challenge. One of the pads was a bigun tho.
 planetmarshall 15 Nov 2016
In reply to CMcBain:
I don't have one, but based on the maths I'm going to say no chance.

A standard Snap pad, for example, is 100x70x45cm = 315L, whereas the Ford Focus Estate has a 476L boot. So you might get two pads in the boot, if you're lucky.

That figure doesn't include space above the parcel shelf, but presumably you'll also have baggage.

Perhaps someone who actually has one can give you a more informed comment.
Post edited at 13:49
 James Malloch 15 Nov 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

Can't really comment having not tried, but I seem to remember my friend's focus estate boot being pretty large (3/4 standard size pads). You could strap one on to the roof also?

Then people can be uncomfortable with bags on their laps...
 Offwidth 15 Nov 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

No way. My big mat fits in but due to the back seat and boot door tilts I cant stack another of the same size flat on top. A big mat and a small mat and two ruscksacks is flush and fairly full at the level of the top of the back seats.
OP CMcBain 15 Nov 2016
In reply to Offwidth:

Maybe I was being a bit optimistic haha. I used to have a Mondeo estate and reckon it would fit 5 small to medium pads in the boot but was unsure how much smaller the focus was.

The saving grace may be that the car will only have 5 people plus 5 pads whilst a driving from accommodation to the boulders which is a short drive (or happy to strap pads to the top/on top of passengers.

Barcelona to Albarracin will have max of 3 people and 3 pads, as we arrive on 2 diff days. Failing that any other solution to 5 people and 5 pads? MPV hire seems much more expensive than estate car.
 planetmarshall 15 Nov 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

> Failing that any other solution to 5 people and 5 pads?

Do you really need 5 pads?

dunnyg 15 Nov 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

I have an old one of these. 2 pads (dmm highball and moon medium size one) fit easily. 3 would be doable, possibly 4. Other option is to bag them up and strap them to the roof if it has roof bars.
 RyanOsborne 15 Nov 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

> The saving grace may be that the car will only have 5 people plus 5 pads whilst a driving from accommodation to the boulders which is a short drive (or happy to strap pads to the top/on top of passengers.

Can't you do it in two trips then?
 marsbar 15 Nov 2016
In reply to RyanOsborne:

The voice of common sense.
OP CMcBain 15 Nov 2016
In reply to marsbar:
Unfortunately I forgot to mention the return journey to Barcelona from Albarracin will be with 5 people and 5 pads, so still have the car problem!
Post edited at 18:07
 hamsforlegs 17 Nov 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

Old Ford Focuses are much larger. I have a 2004 model. Four pads, four people plus light camping luggage works OK. Five might be a fight, but probs possible at a push.

Newer Focus quite a bit smaller - can't be sure of pad numbers but they are a fair bit shorter and the design of the supports/roof take out more space.
Treeclimber 17 Nov 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

Roof racks and some rope? That'd be my solution on my pick up. maybe a tarp to keep dry. not sure if you can rent a car with roof racks.
 TobyA 17 Nov 2016
In reply to CMcBain:

I used to have a Focus estate and could toss my Beal pad in there with ease. I would think that it could take five the same size as mine without too much trouble, but I guess it will all depend on what mats you have.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...