UKC

accounting programme

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gribble 10 Dec 2016
Hi All
Having started a business (just me, no employees), I realise I could benefit from a very simple accounting programme. So far, I've been using hand written notebooks etc and now my head hurts. Can any of you clever people recommend a decent programme for me? It really does need to be very very basic and simple to use. I know my limits! In essence, I think all I need is an income/outgoing sort of set up, and the accountant does the clever stuff.
many thanks
 wintertree 10 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:

If you can do it on paper a simple spreadsheet will be much faster and probably won't involve learning much (anything?) Just put the notebook into the spreadsheet.

Excel for ££ or OpenOffice for free.

For the first week or two run your paper system and the software in parallel. That goes some way to validating your new software and the way you use it, and avoids a disaster if you balls up with the software.
Post edited at 09:52
 Jamie Wakeham 10 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:

I do my own accountancy, and Excel is perfectly sufficient. You won't need more complexity than the ability to add up numbers in a column!
OP gribble 10 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:

OK, sounding positive so far. Is Excel easy to use? I realise that this may sound a very numpty question to most people, but I really don't have much to do with computers. Also, where would I find an Excel?
OP gribble 10 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:

Scratch that, I've just found an Excel in the computer! The search function is a marvellous thing.
 elliot.baker 10 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:
Maybe watch some basic excel tutorial on youtube or something. I imagine you'll only need sum and subtraction, really very, very easy to use those (once you've learned!) and quick.

Someone mentioned open office, you could also use Google sheets which is totally online and has the added benefit of constantly backing up and allows you to revert to any past version of the document if you mess something up.

Some people see it being online as a bad thing though.

edit: and it's totally free.
Post edited at 11:43
 marsbar 10 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:

There are a lot of functions on excel but you won't need most of them.

Put your numbers in a column

Each rectangle is called a cell, and it's just like battleships to identify which number you are talking about. Click in an empty cell under the ones you want to add up. Start with an = sign and then whichever numbers you want to add

E.g. =A2+A3

If it's a lot of numbers then instead of =A2+A3+A4+A5 you can do =sum(A2:A5) You can also use the mouse to highlight the ones you want to add up. Subtract is the same. For multiplying the computer uses * instead of x and for dividing the computer uses /

Don't put p for pence or the computer will get confused. Somewhere at the top is a menu for number types, just pick currency.
In reply to gribble:

You will probably want to replicate your paper system. So you probably want the following columns in your spreadsheet:

Date
Item
Credit
Debit
Running sum

The first four are entered by you, the last is calculated by a 'formula' in the spreadsheet, using the credit, debit and running sum from the previous row. Once you've set up the sum formula, you can copy it to one or more cells in the sum column.

You might also consider running sums of credits and debits as additional columns.

You might also think about reporting periods, either as individual worksheets (with values carried forward from previous sheet) or as blocks within a single sheet.

If you are moving to an electronic-only system, you MUST think about backup of your accounts spreadsheet. A simple, manual copy to one or two USB memory sticks, or even your phone. Just so you have a copy in case your HDD dies.
 Mountain Llama 10 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:

Just down load the free excel accounting spreadsheet from here http://www.easyaccountancy.co.uk/resources/free-bookkeeping-template-softwa...

It looks fine for most things and will save you having to write your own.

HTH Davey
 marsbar 10 Dec 2016
In reply to captain paranoia:
Also, old fashioned, but nothing wrong with printing out a copy at the end of the month.

I forgot percentages
If you need to work out percentages you can just multiply by the decimal equivalent

E.g. 25% of the number in cell C4 would be =C4*0.25
Post edited at 16:57
 David Lanceley 10 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:

Take a look at http://www.moneysoft.co.uk/bookkeeping-software/money-manager.htm

Very easy to use, business version does VAT. I've been using for 20 years for club, personnel and business accounts.
 neilh 10 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:

Look at Xero or some of the online packages
 Dax H 10 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:

I don't know if it would suit your business but there is plenty of work management software out there that do a remarkable amount for you.
You do a job, customer signs on your tablet, Automatically emails the customer a copy and generates an invoice for them.
OP gribble 11 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:

Thank you all very much. You all seem to have identified my lack of ability very well and come up with the relevant suggestions!
 RedFive 12 Dec 2016
In reply to gribble:

I'm a qualified Accountant and run my own practice (when I'm not climbing, running or biking).

HMRC are mandating from April 2018 that all records will have to be kept 'digitally', and figures submitted quarterly from then on. Search 'Making Tax Digital', it's going to hit like a shitstorm in the next few months!

They are still working through the detail but at this stage they have said excel is not classed as a 'digital' record. Give yourself a head start by using a cloud bookkeeping package such as Quickbooks Online (my preferred choice), Sage One or Xero.

Or better still get yourself an Accountant who can wok together with you and get your set up on his/her preffered package.

My clients use cloud bookkeeping to issue sales invoices and that's about it, so they can get on with running their business. They aren't interested in adding columns of numbers up or working out where to journal drawings each month.

I do all the engine work behind the scenes but it means they can see how their business is performing at a swipe of their iPad/phone or laptop.

If you want an idea of price when searching locally (I recommend having someone you can meet quarterly for a coffee) for a one man sole trader I would charge circa £40 per month to include Quickbooks Online Plus, anytime support with ongoing advice, all bank reconciliation and expenses input into QBO and end of year tax return prepared and submitted.

Good luck in starting your business, hope that helps.
 marsbar 12 Dec 2016
In reply to RedFive:

Very small businesses are exempt from Digital Tax requirements.

Personally if I was to be affected by this, I wouldn't be getting in early, I'd be waiting for them to decide what is actually happening and finalised so they don't change their minds again.
 RedFive 12 Dec 2016
In reply to marsbar:
Fair enough though their definition of very small business is those with sales of less than £10k per year.

I know and work with plenty of 'very small businesses' that turn over way more than that.

Pretty much anyone running a business full time as I believe the OP is will fall within MTD as the rules stand at present.

Yes, still subject to change but head in the sand isn't going to get you out of this one.

A collaborative Accountant who can give you a solid grip on your businesses finances should be a prerequisite anyway, though I would say that.

By the way marsbar I wasn't having a go at your response so apologies if it came across like that. I love excel and keep many sets of books on it. MTD is a crock of gruel but I've been around long enough to know when something is not going to go away.
Post edited at 21:05

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...