UKC

Where to go bouldering / sport climbing around Tucson, AZ ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave 27 Dec 2016
I'll have a day or half day for bouldering (without a pad...) or sport climbing close to Tucson over the New Year. Anybody have any recommendations where to go? Just happy to get out on rock but could be up to 5.9-5.10-ish . I've only gt a 45m rope with me and about 9 QD's, so no long routes either...
 Alan Rubin 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Dave:

There is a vast amount of climbing around Tucson. Mt. Lemmon rises directly above town with a variety of crags scattered along the highway to the summit. The rock is primarily gneiss--granite up high, with a mix of sport and trad--likely bouldering as well though I have no direct experience of the latter. No matter what the time of year there is almost always a crag that will be 'in condition'. For the worse days of winter--such winter as there is that far in the southwest, there are several canyons along the base with not always the highest quality rock, but still offering a decent collection of sport climbs. I think that Miligrosa Canyon (I think that is what it is named) is considered to be the best of these. Higher up along the highway, the Windy Point area has long been a prime winter/spring destination with a large number of outcrops--up to 2-3 pitches, in the area.

About an hour and a half south of Tucson, Cochise Stronghold (Dragoon Mountains)--near Tombstone, is an amazing and extensive granite playground that is ideal in winter. The east Stronghold is mostly trad and bouldering. On the west side an area called the Isle of You has several short fins of granite with many well-bolted sport routes above an idyllic free camping area. No current guidebook but there is information online at Mountain Project and Rockclimbing.com.

Great Mexican food in Tucson!!!! Enjoy.
OP Dave 27 Dec 2016
In reply to Alan Rubin:

Thanks very much, very helpful.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...