UKC

Kyloe out conditions tomorrow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 MB42 27 Dec 2016
So we're driving from Doncaster to Glasgow tomorrow and hoping to grab some climbing on the way. It looks cold and dry with little wind during the day but there is some chance of rain overnight. Any opinions on if its likely to be ok or still damp? If its not we could head the other way past Eastby/Crookrise or Almscliff if they're likely to be better.

Any other ideas for near road, winter suitable venues en route very welcome. One limitation is the only guide I have is the Rfax Northern England and I'm not up that way very much so probably not worth me getting another despite my addiction to buying guidebooks...
 spenser 27 Dec 2016
In reply to MB42:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1893120990910682/
Asking on there is probably your best bet. Kyloe Out does dry quickly, however some of the bits are very exposed to the wind so will be bloomin' freezing! (also the approach has a lot of long grass so you'll probably get soaking wet legs unless you wear waterproof trousers if it's rained recently).
Scugdale was in good nick yesterday, everything was bone dry, again super exposed and feezing!
 David Cowley 27 Dec 2016
In reply to MB4

I've hidden out some canny prolonged rain showers in the overhang at Kyloe and climbed straight after and its been fine on the left hand edge of the crag around the quarry area and the buttress with trinity and st ivel on and it's been fine but i'd imagine tomorrow the further towards the forest you go the greasier it will get and be pretty miserable but the stay at the left hand side of the crag and you might get lucky but as the post above mentions water proof up on your legs for the walk in

If you can brave the chill and elements then Bowden might be a good shout. Dries really quickly

Enjoy whatever you end up doing
OP MB42 27 Dec 2016
In reply to MB42:

Ok cheers, thanks for the advice - especially the waterproof trousers! We're only trying to grab a few routes to break the journey and burn off some mince pies so will take down jackets, hot tea, and optimism and see how we get on at Kyloe or Bowden. Happy christmas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...