UKC

Snow Factor's ice wall in Glasgow

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 discosucks 02 Jan 2017
Heading to Edinburgh at the end of this month and was thinking about getting the train to Glasgow and checking out the indoor ice wall at snow factor .

Iv never done any ice climbing and would like to give it a shot as we don't have one Ireland and very little ( if any ? ) ice climbing .

Wondering whats peoples past experiences with snow factor and if they think its worth the spin?
 BrendanO 03 Jan 2017
In reply to discosucks:

I thought it was worth it!

Have never winter climbed, had drytooled indoors twice yrs ago. Did rockclimbers conversion course to ice climbing, think about £30 and you get I think 90 min of tuition then left to it, I think we did 3 hours. Their bar ain't bad either, cheapish food. Other climbers were friendly and interactive, and the whole thing was just a huge laugh. You get no warning if you're about to ping off, you have a massive reach, can do moves unlike normal climbing eg figure 4, and there are mixed routes, logs etc to play on too. Instructor very good indeed!
Drive from Edinburgh not difficult, train may be more of a faff. If 4 of you, hire a car that day??

Maybe doesnt apply to you but after this course, you can come along for £15 inc the axes and crampons (bring your own hel et and harness) which serms storming value.

Only downside for me is while there, I got a beginner snowboarding lesson, ended up buying 5 lessons then a snowboard. Ho hum.

Certainly a change from "normal" climbing wall, though Edinburgh is well-supplied there too!
OP discosucks 03 Jan 2017
In reply to BrendanO:

Awesome I think we'll go for it so . It's just me and my girlfriend so we'll have to go by train .

I tried to call them today to see if its a maximum time of 3 hours or can you stay on longer but the phone's were really busy , said I was 6th in line lol .

Any idea are they strict with time ?

Did you do the board lessons on the same day?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...