UKC

SE Wales winter sport crag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bpmclimb 04 Jan 2017
What are the best choices of SE Wales sport crags at this time of year? Ones which get the most sunshine, and don't tend to stay wet and/or seep for several days. I'm mainly asking specifically for tomorrow, which is forecast dry, sunny and with light wind, but pretty cold. Driving from near Chepstow.

Oh yes - and preferably somewhere other than Tirpentwys or the Gilwern crags yet again!

Thanks.
 FactorXXX 04 Jan 2017
In reply to bpmclimb:

When I used to live in the area, my crag of choice in the winter was Coed Ely.
 Ianto Bach 04 Jan 2017
In reply to bpmclimb:
Try Cilfynydd / Navigation Quarry, often climbed there in t-shirt in winter. Gets the sun and can be sheltered. An added bonus is even the trad routes can be easily top roped if you don't want to lead trad. A good range of sport routes to go at. Check the SWMC wiki on-line for more info.

Hope you have a good day,

I

Just thought to check your profile - an old skool tradder will have a grand day out here

The "Fly me to the moon" series of routes are good and the Owl & the Antelope is sublime - for an industrial quarry
Post edited at 23:06
 Xavierpercy 04 Jan 2017
In reply to bpmclimb:

Trehafod
Lovely sun trap and not seepy like a lot of SW sandstone. Coed Ely is good and close to Trebanog which is also a good winter venue as it drys quickly.
Wyndcliffe Quarry by all accounts is good in the winter
 SFrancis 05 Jan 2017
In reply to all:

Sorry for the thread hijack, but it's on topic.

Has anyone visisted Cwmaman in winter. I read it suffers badly with seepage which is a shame as its would appear the main crag faces south. I also note the ascents are mainly summer, so not to hopeful.

Really enjoy climbing on the sandstone, and ideally looking for a suntrap like Tirpentwys with a few more harder routes. Visited Navigation Quarry early last year, and had a great day and really enjoyed the excellent routes, but ticked everything I wanted to in a day.
 Xavierpercy 05 Jan 2017
In reply to SFrancis:
Cwmaman is good. I went in July after a fairly long hot dry spell and the extreme right end was still wet. If it was me I would avoid in the winter months. Sirhowey may be an option if you are after some 7's.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...