/ A monster calls

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
wilkie14c - on 13 Jan 2017
Saw this tonight with my 12yo daughter and it had her blubbing, I'll admit to a tear in my own eye.
Be under no illusions, this isn't your regular kids film, read a few reviews (IMDB / Rotten tomatoes) if you are thinking of taking your kids to see it and decide if suitable. I didn't however I think I'd have still taken my daughter who is quite mature for her age.
It used be a case of teaching kids about death meant buying them a goldfish or rabbit and waiting for the enevitable and that was it. The film follows an adolescent lad, too old to be a kid yet too young to be a man, come to terms with his mothers terminal illness and his own guilty feelings. Not all stories have a happy ending but despite this it sparked interesting conversation on the way home and I know daughterling will be chattering away at school tomorrow about it.
Darkly captivating that deals with an ugly subject. Highly recommended
angry pirate - on 13 Jan 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

How "mature" is it? My eldest is 8 and is a sensitive and fairly mature soul: he cried after the Star Wars the force awakens film after a fairly major character died and is known to soul search far more than his jaded old dad.
wilkie14c - on 13 Jan 2017
In reply to angry pirate:

i'm not sure if it'd be suitable for an 8 yo, only you can make that call. perhaps see if we get anymore posts here and see what others who've seen it think
angry pirate - on 13 Jan 2017
In reply to wilkie14c:

Thanks for the reply. If you don't think it's suitable then that's probably the right call. Of the two 12 certificate films I've seen recently that I'd considered #1son for, force awakens was fine, batman vs superman was certainly not.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.