UKC

Second hand Canon 7D?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 StefanB 17 Jan 2017
I would like to purchase a reasonable DSLR to complement my Olympus mirrorless system (mainly for sport photography where the olympus does not cut it). My budget is around 800.

I have come across a second hand Canon 7D, which seems to be in good condition and considering my budget would leave me with 300 for a tele lens.

The alternative would be a new 750D or 70D at a stretch with a kit lens.

Which of these options would people recommend?
 Mountain Llama 17 Jan 2017
In reply to StefanB:

Check out the 2nd hand gear here http://www.wexphotographic.com/used/s1008

HTH Davey
In reply to StefanB:
The 7d is an absolutely stonking camera. Really tough, pretty weather resistant and takes stunning photos. Autofocus is amazing and shooting rate as quick as you need. It lags behind modern cameras on high ISO performance, though up to 3200 shots are pretty clean, and video is not as good as modern bodies. I have one and am a huge fan, as are many surf photographers. £300 would give you enough almost for a second hand Canon 17-40 F4L lens which is a perfect partner to the 7d. Matches roughly 24-70 on a full frame. Go for it.
 Dave B 17 Jan 2017
In reply to StefanB:

Is what I used to use for sports photography, so it was great in its day.

Is great with a 70-200l f4, but these used to be expensive second hand...

OP StefanB 17 Jan 2017
In reply to StefanB:

Thanks for the useful answers. Seems like the 7D is a good choice then.

ewanjp 03 Feb 2017
In reply to StefanB:

I have a 7D with a 70-200F4L and the 17-55F2.8. Great camera tho fairly large and very tough - what are you intending to use it for? I don't use mine for climbing as it's too big and heavy - I use a RX100Mk3 for that.

I normally use mine for MTBing and Snowboarding - great for that (if you don't mind carrying it). Clean images up to 1600iso and 3200iso is very usable if you're not pixel peeping. Autofocus is pretty good for sports.

OP StefanB 06 Feb 2017
Thanks for these replies, guys.

In the end I found a very good cash-back deal con a new Canon 80D and got that. I already have an Olympus CSC for travel and other situation where bulk and weight are important.

I have to say the ergonomics of handling and the focusing system of the Canon make it much more enjoyable to use. Big difference trying it out for action shots during my son's football match.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...