UKC

Long term caravan Lakes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave 88 20 Jan 2017
Hi all,

I'm starting a new job in Whitehaven and am in need of accommodation.

I had planned to live in a caravan for 1-2 months because my fiancé is still working abroad and it made sense not to get tied in to any house rental contract until she was back and knew where she would be working. Also, the caravan was going to double as a moving trailer to pack my life into until we got settled.

The problem I'm finding is that it looks to be the same price, and in some cases more expensive to pitch a caravan than it is to rent a house!

My needs are basic; electrical hookup and a shower.

Can anyone recommend anywhere? Does anyone know if sites give heavy discounts if you book for that long? Basically anything over £200 p/m is becoming uneconomical.

Come on dirt bags, how do you do it?!

Cheers in advance.
 plyometrics 20 Jan 2017
In reply to Dave 88:

Apologies if you've considered this, but bearing in mind it's winter, is it not worth contacting any more summer holiday oriented caravan sites to see if you could be a discrete winter resident whilst the main site is 'fallow'.

Other option could be speaking to some local farmers, perhaps?

Don't know if either of theses are practical or not.

Best of luck however you end up going about it.
In reply to plyometrics:

Might break your £200 ppm budget but if you are BMC affiliated or in a local climbing club you could bounce around climbing huts for long enough stays before they realise you're taking the piss. Lots in the lakes look at BMC affliated clubs website.
womblingfree 20 Jan 2017
In reply to freelunchprovider:

Look to rent a static or chalet off someone else. 2 months isnt really long term to a site owner but you quite often find caravan or chalet owners paying a years worth of ground rent, but only using it occasionally. They'll be the people looking to do a deal on a month or two, often via an advert in the window
 John Kelly 20 Jan 2017

For caravan with your £200 per month budget I think only a farmer, as previously mentioned, but not sure how you would find one.
Post edited at 23:24
 JJL 21 Jan 2017

> Might break your £200 ppm budget but if you are BMC affiliated or in a local climbing club you could bounce around climbing huts for long enough stays before they realise you're taking the piss. Lots in the lakes look at BMC affliated clubs website.

This is a really, really Really, shit idea. Please don't.
OP Dave 88 22 Jan 2017
In reply to plyometrics:

It's actually April-May that I'll need so getting into the busy periods, but worth checking some sites that only open for the summer holidays. Cheers.
OP Dave 88 22 Jan 2017

Other than the fact it's impractical due to having all my worldly possessions with me, it's also not really in the spirit of the hut system so I wouldn't feel right doing that.
OP Dave 88 22 Jan 2017
In reply to womblingfree:

That's a great idea, thanks, I'll look into that

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...