UKC

Rockfax App Version 2.0 - Crash on Startup Fix

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
The Rockfax App has just been updated to version 2.0. We are getting a few reports of it crashing on startup after updating. This is caused by a database migration failure during the upgrade. We've had some of these happen during previous updates to the app, but we've never been able to recreate the issue here, so we are still not sure what the cause is.

The Fix for this crashing problem:
1) Delete the Rockfax App by holding and tapping the cross.
2) Go to the App Store and reinstall the App.
3) Restore purchases by going to Home > My account > Restore purchases.
4) Download the packages by tapping on the cloud icon under Crags > Downloads next to any crag you have bought.

NOTE - Even if you miss stage 3) you won't be charged on any Crag Bundle you have previously bought, it just look like you might when you tap on the price icon.

Apologies for the problems.

Alan
 metrorat 22 Jan 2017
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

I've had to reinstall on both iPhone and iPad, now the route overlays on the Aiguille du Midi North Face page don't match the photo background. They're sticking up in the air. Haven't been through a lot of Chamonix book since the update so not sure what other pages are affected but it's happening on both the iPad and iPhone for Frendo Spur and Mallory-Porter routes.
 wbo 22 Jan 2017
In reply to metrorat: I've seen this before - as i recall it was caused in my case by running out of space during the download of the Cham guide. I fixed it by deinstalling, reinstalling.

eddbeale 23 Jan 2017

I just upgraded direct to 2.0.1, which the App Store notes suggested had a fix for this issue. Unfortunately, it is crashing for me on startup in the same way described.

Is there anything else I should try that would give useful info to help understand it before I uninstall and reinstall? I'm happy to install a beta version again if there's anything you'd like to try to get more diagnostics.
In reply to metrorat:

> I've had to reinstall on both iPhone and iPad, now the route overlays on the Aiguille du Midi North Face page don't match the photo background. They're sticking up in the air. Haven't been through a lot of Chamonix book since the update so not sure what other pages are affected but it's happening on both the iPad and iPhone for Frendo Spur and Mallory-Porter routes.

This sounds like a problem with the install. The solution proposed by wbo should work. So remove that package then try reinstalling it. If your phone is on its space limit then you might need to create a bit of space first.

Alan
In reply to eddbeale:

> Is there anything else I should try that would give useful info to help understand it before I uninstall and reinstall? I'm happy to install a beta version again if there's anything you'd like to try to get more diagnostics.

Thanks for the offer but we aren't able to get useful information from these crashes. I suggest you follow through with the fix which does appear to work fine.

Alan
 metrorat 23 Jan 2017

> This sounds like a problem with the install. The solution proposed by wbo should work. So remove that package then try reinstalling it. If your phone is on its space limit then you might need to create a bit of space first.

> Alan

Hi Alan, I've just reinstalled (again) on the iPad, the issue has persisted. I have 30gigs+ free on both devices, so storage space is not the problem. Just to be clear I had the chamonix guide (and Rjukan, costa Blanca etc) installed on both devices with no issues before the update. Frendo Spur page was definitely behaving correctly before. Seems like something in the update has broken this page.
In reply to metrorat:

> Hi Alan, I've just reinstalled (again) on the iPad, the issue has persisted. I have 30gigs+ free on both devices, so storage space is not the problem. Just to be clear I had the chamonix guide (and Rjukan, costa Blanca etc) installed on both devices with no issues before the update. Frendo Spur page was definitely behaving correctly before. Seems like something in the update has broken this page.

Hi

It is working fine on the devices we have here which also have clean installs of the crag packages. Can you send a support email from the device mentioning the problem.

Home > Help & Support > Email Us

This will send a log file which we can analyse.

Thanks

Alan

metrorat 23 Jan 2017

Hi Alan, I sent the log file and got a very quick response from Stephen. Have copied below for anyone with the same issue:

'Hi Jonny

It looks like this is a data error - an old version of an image ended up in the wrong place and was used for outputting to the app. The reason you've seen it now is that there was an update to the Chamonix packages with included this bad image, and you only installed that update after the the crash problem with version 2.0

I'll get this fixed and upload an updated package to the app store, then you will be able to update your package from the downloads section. This will unfortunately take a couple of days due to the review process for the app store. I'll send you an email once it's available so you don't have to keep checking.'

Good service, thanks
 Ciderslider 24 Jan 2017

Certainly +1 from me re the good work from Stephen.

My app crashed after the update - I emailed - and got a number of swift and helpful replies - thanks again
 dannut89 23 Feb 2017

Thanks for the fix, much appreciated
Fabfrascati 23 Jun 2017

Hi

I went through steps 1 to 3 and got the list of pruchased packages. Step 4 fails when clicking on the cloud icon which spins for 2 seconds and the nothing happens.

Any advice on how to get the crags back ?
In reply to Fabfrascati:

> I went through steps 1 to 3 and got the list of pruchased packages. Step 4 fails when clicking on the cloud icon which spins for 2 seconds and the nothing happens.

> Any advice on how to get the crags back ?

Hi

There is currently a problem connecting to the App Store. Their servers are not sending the packages. We don't yet know what's causing it, but hopefully it will be resolved soon. The issue seems to be on their side, which makes it harder to get fixed unfortunately.

Alan
In reply to Fabfrascati:

We have now found out that this problem is being reported more widely by a number of other app developers and it is a problem with the Apple App Store. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

Alan

Apple's engineers have corrected the issue now, so downloads within the app should work again. You may find that when you open the app the downloads you've tried to make during the broken period begin in the background, but we're not sure about this.

Please accept our apologies for the trouble and confusion caused.

Alan and Stephen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...