UKC

Moss on Roof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 FesteringSore 29 Jan 2017

Can anyone suggest the best way to rid a tiled roof of moss. I've been reading about chemical spray and manual removal and cleansing. I also understand that some people advocate a strip of copper along the ridge - would this be done instead of chemical or manual cleansing or as well as?
Post edited at 14:44
Moley 29 Jan 2017
In reply to FesteringSore:

On our last house we had the same moss problem on a roof of welsh slate. I went up on the roof and scraped it off manually (I have a roof ladder), then strung copper wire across the apex of the roof. I think I stripped the wire out of an old electric cable, earth wire from a electric pole - not sure how I acquired it!
It seemed to help and certainly slowed the regrowth down. I can't remember why it works but it helps if not perfect.
Lusk 29 Jan 2017
In reply to Moley:

> earth wire from a electric pole

Naughty boy!
Trashing the local PME supply.
 FactorXXX 29 Jan 2017

Can anyone suggest the best way to rid a tiled roof of moss. I've been reading about chemical spray and manual removal and cleansing.

Using chemical sprays seems a bit of an excessive way to get rid of unwanted moss on your roof: -

http://tinyurl.com/hy5gs9b
 Toccata 29 Jan 2017

By hand is best if you can do it safely. Moss grows between tiles and can be removed only manually. Mosskill is good for prevention (use a 1:6 dilution as the recommended 1:10 isn't very effective). You can use it to kill moss but then the moss falls into your gutters. Copper (or zinc) is locally effective at preventing recurrence. Don't use a pressure washer as it is terrible for the tiles and not greatly useful for the moss in the gaps.

If access is difficult, pay for a professional.
 Oldsign 30 Jan 2017

Feed the pigeons. Our local flock seem to love picking the moss off our roof and flicking it into the garden. No idea why...
OP FesteringSore 30 Jan 2017
In reply to Oldsign:

> Feed the pigeons. Our local flock seem to love picking the moss off our roof and flicking it into the garden..
and shitting on the roof.

Oldsign 30 Jan 2017

There's that too...
 Trangia 30 Jan 2017

>. I also understand that some people advocate a strip of copper along the ridge - would this be done instead of chemical or manual cleansing or as well as?

Yes it works. You may have to manually remove it first, but it will discourage further build up.

colinakmc 30 Jan 2017

> and shitting on the roof.

Our local doo's are house trained. They eat the moss then shit on my car.
 Scott K 30 Jan 2017

Our neighbour cleaned his roof and put copper pipe (which he had beaten flat) along the ridge under the tile clips. Has worked well for the last couple of years. For cleaning, I have just used a hard brush before.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...