UKC

Mulhacen in April advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 timmyhobby 29 Jan 2017
Hi, just after a bit of advice about going hear at the start of April with my partner. Mainly what the maps are like, how defined the paths are under the snow? Probably going to spend 1 night at Poqueira, how is it there? And any other advice realy.

Cheers in advance,

Tim
In reply to timmyhobby:

Hi there, we walked over from Guejar Sierra. ( Bus from Granada) Did it late Feb. Camping at the head of the valley and walking over to a hut under the peak. All pretty straight forward, apart from a fox trying to pull our food out from the tent. The hut was OK, but not pleasant, plenty of rubbish and human waste close by. Peak was easy under snow, although we took crampons and axes and used them. No tracks up high. Great weather. We walked down to the south and stayed somewhere, we found a hostel in a village. Very pleasant trip, although the return over a pass was arduous under fresh snow and in strong winds. Quite a few huts about, as in open bothy like shelters. Watch out for bulls esp. with cows and calves roaming free on the lower slopes, really aggressive! These look exactly like the ones that go into bull rings and are really quick. Good wildlife, saw some great birds. Enjoy.
 Trangia 29 Jan 2017
In reply to timmyhobby:

Be very aware of the weather forecast and the fact that weather in the Sierra Nevada can change very quickly

Conditions can turn Arctic and over the years there have been numerous fatalities from exposure . They might look like big hills, but they are deceptive.

Keep that in mind and have a great time.
OP timmyhobby 29 Jan 2017
In reply to greatshearwater:

Thanks for the advice ☺
Rigid Raider 29 Jan 2017
In reply to timmyhobby:

I walked up it a couple of times in the 80s and got very sunburned. Later I tried to cycle up it and discovered that while it's hot and sunny down n the valleys it can be filthy higher up and the mountain's reputation for sudden violent gusts of wind is well-deserved.
 L.A. 29 Jan 2017
In reply to timmyhobby:
Maps are ok with a bit of imagination. Certainly good enough for what most people do
The Poqueira is usually a rather cold hut in April. Make sure you have duvets to wear in the large dining room which usually only has a solitary log smoldering away halfheartedly. Food in the hut is good and plentyful and surprisingly cheap if you have an AAC card (BMC card is not accepted there). Guardians are really nice folk (French hut guardians take note !) Some of them speak English but do phone them to book before you head up so that they can cook enough food for however many are staying that night.
Re the paths. Usually by early April the path up from Capileira is clear of snow until about the Cortijo Tomas (but Ive seen snow down in Capileira in April.) Either way its a well trodden path. From the hut to Mulhacen, by either the very easy and rather boring South Ridge or slightly better West Flank, is usually well trodden.
Last weeks thread
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=657397&v=1#x8486227
Post edited at 21:42
OP timmyhobby 29 Jan 2017
In reply to L.A.:

Perfect. Realy usefull stuff, thanks,

Tim
OP timmyhobby 30 Jan 2017
Also. What is the best map to take?

Juan S 30 Jan 2017
In reply to timmyhobby:
There are several access routes to the hut - you can have a look on the hut website for these. Usually straight up from Capileira if there is snow.

Some parts of the mountains are fairly barren and feature-less (think a higher, larger version of Cairngorms). So good map skills needed in low visibility conditions. I'd recommend taking GPS tracks of walks you want to do. There are lots of these you can download for free at wikiloc (e.g. this one https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=5566957 )

Ask at the hut for conditions to the top - very friendly and knowledgeable guardian. The west side can get tricky with ice plaques. The south side is always easier.

Maps: I use the editorial penibetica one. If you don't want to buy it, you can print off sections from the Poqueira hut website (e.g. http://refugiopoqueira.com/por-la-loma-del-mulhacen ).

How defined the paths are: it really depends on how much snow there is/when it snowed last.
Post edited at 13:53
 Babika 30 Jan 2017
In reply to timmyhobby:

I found nobody at the Hut spoke any English in August 2013. Cue an interesting discussion about me wanting a disposable sheet and them thinking I was talking about sh*t....

I also mistakenly ordered a whole tortilla and the rest of the Hut gathered to see how on earth I was going to eat it all..

But a great experience, very enjoyable all round.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...