UKC

11 Feb. Pete Whittaker lecture : El Capitan Solo

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
premier post photo
11 February 2017. Pete Whittaker Lecture: El Capitan solo. Beacon Climbing Centre, North Wales.

In November 2016, Pete Whittaker became the first person in the history of Yosemite climbing to make a 1 DAY ‘ALL FREE’ SOLO ASCENT OF EL CAPITAN. Using rope solo techniques, Pete made an audacious ascent of the classic 37-pitch Freerider in just 20 hours and 6 minutes. What makes this even more remarkable is that Pete had only taken up rope soloing seriously this year:

“A while back I gave Andy Kirkpatrick a Wide Boyz DVD, in return he gave me a solo technique book. At the time of the swap, I flicked through it, then sacked it off as it didn’t apply to me. However when I came back to this book, with the idea of climbing big stuff by myself, it turned out to be a complete gem of information. I think I read it 4 times cover to cover.”

One of the most exciting climbers of this generation, Pete has consistently shunned conventional trends to explore his own visions of climbing, pursuing a well-documented (and highly entertaining) developmental journey with off-width climbing prior to his recent rope solo exploits.

We’re really happy to welcome Pete back to Beacon following his brilliant Wide Boyz lecture with Tom Randall in 2015. Pete will be returning on Saturday 11th February to talk about his recent exploits on El Capitan in what promises to be a funny, exciting and unmissable event!

“A witty, engaging lecture. Well worth seeing.”
– Kendal Mountain Film Festival

“An insightful, motivational and funny talk. Felt like climbing something right after!”
– Edinburgh Climbing Club

Date: Saturday 11th February
Venue: Beacon Climbing Centre, North Wales
Show time: 7:30pm (bar opens 6:30pm)
Duration: around 1 hour 30 mins (inc a short interval)
Tickets: £10.00

BOOK HERE
https://www.beaconclimbing.com/pete-whittaker/

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...