UKC

Adam Ondra climbs a new 9b

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 08 Feb 2017
Adam Ondra climbed a new 9b at Oliana today. It's a link up of the two 9a+'s Papichula and Pachamama.

'Craaazy day! It was so windy that I thought it would be impossible to climb. Then it got a little more still, but even sitting on the ledge right before the fight, you can see the QD's moving. In the end, I took down this project of @chris_sharma, i think Mamichula 9b (hard) could be a good name. Incredible power endurance without any rest. '

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQQwryul0nZ/
 leewil86 09 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

This makes me feel like a frog floating through space......you get me?
 Calvi 10 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

So he climbed two existing routes, with no new climbing. Rather pointless if that is the case.
 flaneur 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Calvi:

> Rather pointless if that is the case.

I thought the point of climbing was that it's all pointless.

> So he climbed two existing routes, with no new climbing.

There is the small matter of a Font7c+/8a link between the two, if such things really bother you.

Bulls Crack 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Calvi:

> So he climbed two existing routes, with no new climbing. Rather pointless if that is the case.

I'll get on the blower and let him know your thoughts. He'll be gutted!
OP stp 10 Feb 2017
In reply to Calvi:

Well at hard 9b this is one of the hardest routes in the world. There are only 3 routes with a higher grade. So this is a very significant ascent, something any climber would be very proud of.

Secondly people want to push themselves when they climb, climb as close to their limit as possible. Since this is grade harder than either of the routes it links together I'm sure it's a more satisfying ascent for Ondra - and and anyone else who does it in the future.

Finally link up routes are pretty common nowadays. If you go to somewhere like Raven Tor there's hardly a single route that isn't linked with something else. People are even linking boulder problems into routes in order to create harder challenges. It may seem pointless when viewed from a distance but once you know the routes and the challenges these link ups offer you can see the logic to it: more choice and a wider range of difficulty levels.
In reply to Calvi:

Take a look at the Peak Bouldering guide topo for Pinches Wall at Raven Torr... it'll blow your mind!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...