UKC

Breakdown cover

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Good morning,

Being as I've brought myself a new-ish car I'm considering breakdown cover for it

I've just money super market searched for some prices and have been met by a plethora of companies and different prices.

Can someone recommend a good and not to expensive company from experience ?

I've never heard of some of the breakdown covers companies before.

TWS
 marsbar 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Chive Talkin\':

The AA probably aren't the cheapest, but the service is good.
In reply to marsbar:

Well their basic package isn't to bad so it's a possibility.
I imagined it was going to be astronomical .

Sir Chasm 09 Feb 2017

Auto aid.
 Trangia 09 Feb 2017

Green Flag are good. They have a reciprocal arrangement with the RAC, and I think AA, so if they can't get to you quickly they pass it to one of them if they are closer. Their premiums are competitive. My ex broke down in a snow storm and they passed it to a nearby RAC mechanic who not only fixed the problem but because of the weather followed her in his van to make certain she got home safely. Fantastic service from both companies.
 Andypeak 09 Feb 2017

I've also been quite impressed with green flag. Reasonable price and good service. Assuming you will be traveling more than a few miles from home it's worth upgrading the cover to tow you anywhere for free otherwise it's about £3.50 a mile after the first 10 miles.
 Jenny C 09 Feb 2017

Always used Green Flag - not a regular user, but no complaints on the three times we have had them out.
Unlike the AA (who consider it to be your insurers responsibility) Green Flag will recover the vehicle after a road traffic accident and not just mechanical breakdowns.

As said above, worth paying to get Home Relay (or to a garage of your choice) for when they can't repair at the roadside.
Moley 09 Feb 2017

We've always been with GEM, no complaints but don't know how they compare to others. About £65, if you breakdown they arrange a repair/tow to wherever you want, you then pay direct for the work and claim the money back from GEM. Never had any problems.
 Andrew Holden 09 Feb 2017

+1 for aa.
 nathan79 09 Feb 2017

Have always had good experience of the RAC when I've had to call them in for both my car and my Berlingo van.

Not the cheapest but have proved themselves worthy to me.
 Jack B 09 Feb 2017

I tend to find AA, RAC and Green Flag about the same for cost, and probably much on a par for service. You'll rarely get recovered by a branded lorry these days (at least in Scotland) and they all have contracts with much the same garages. I don't know about the smaller companies, they may have fewer contracts, or they may not.

One thing to watch - most companies have an cheap recovery option sold as the "nearest garage" with "max 30 miles" or similar in the small print. If you break down in rural Scotland, there may not be a garage in range, and they'll just tow you to a nearby safe place - usually a layby.
 marsbar 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Jack B:

Not sure as I haven't broken down in Scotland, but in England I've always been looked after by an actual AA patrol in an AA vehicle. I thought that was the difference between them and Green flag.

As for accident recovery, when I had a crash the police dealt with removing the vehicle via their contracts and the insurance company dealt with the police. I guess you need comprehensive cover for that or it could cost a lot.
 Mark Kemball 09 Feb 2017

Very happy with the RAC. My wife, who is very good on the phone, managed to negotiate a good deal when the cover came up for renewal. Our particular cover includes cars in which you're a passenger - this has proved very useful.
 wercat 09 Feb 2017
With Green Flag on the advice of someone who came to our rescue while we had a multi stage, multi begging for help trip back home from Durham to Cumbria a few years back. He had had lots of classic and old cars, always breaking down and they came out without a quibble.

Perhaps you think we should have not been away from home without breakdown cover?

Well I'd been a long term member of the RAC for a number of years without interruption. Never called them out at all despite having paid hundreds and hundreds of pounds to them, for what?

To be on the other side of the country en route to Durham Cathedral for a carol service with wife and kids (one of whom needs daily medication as do I) only to have the alternator fail so the car stopped in the middle of nowhere when the battery ran down in the gathering gloom of a wet December afternoon.

When I mentioned that the road and weather were wet and that might have had something to do with our breakdown (this was honestly volunteered by way of information for the callout mechanic) the operator said we'd obviously driven through a flood and weren't covered and would have to pay the Full Charge of the callout as per someone not a member. She would not listen to any of my appeals and explanations after that.

Net reult, worthless membership, hundreds of pounds paid for no help and stranded overnight in the Northeast and took 24 hours to get home only with the help of people who gave us a series of charges to get us home.

RAC - Thieves - never again, and if I ever see anyone being talked into membership by a rep I'm going to tell them this story.

"THE RAC - A Warning From History"
Post edited at 14:15
Jimbocz 09 Feb 2017

One rip off tactic is to sell you a policy that does not include when your car won't start in your own drive. Make sure "home start " is included.

Of course there's no logic to this, just another excuse for to screw people over for a few quid.
In reply to wercat:

To be fair I checked out the RAC and they are the most expensive I can find and I would rather use the AA or green flag.
So they wont get my cash.
I use to be a green flag member years ago.

Sounds a horrible situation .

marsbar 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbocz:

Just for the other point of view, I've never bothered with homestart. I want cover to get me home if I'm stuck somewhere, so I've always paid for relay as well as roadside, but if I'm at home then I will just make my own arrangements.
Jimbocz 09 Feb 2017
In reply to marsbar:
> Just for the other point of view, I've never bothered with homestart. I want cover to get me home if I'm stuck somewhere, so I've always paid for relay as well as roadside, but if I'm at home then I will just make my own arrangements.

That's not the way I think about it. You make it sound like the point of roadside assistance is that to get you home. For me, it's to get my car fixed! Once the car is fixed, the getting home bit will take care of itself.

If your car is broken down in your drive, what "arrangements " are you going to M make? Garages don't typically offer towing. I guess you'd have to call someone who could come by and try to fix it in your drive and maybe tow it to a garage if they can't......

Wait until a minute, I've already paid for that!
Post edited at 16:16
 marsbar 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbocz:
My local garage will fetch cars.
Also my neighbour works there. I guess I'm lucky.
Post edited at 16:22
Jimbocz 09 Feb 2017
In reply to marsbar:

> My local garage will fetch cars.Also my neighbour works there. I guess I'm lucky.

Fair enough. I only wanted to warn the OP that this option is there so they wouldn't buy it by mistake.
 GridNorth 09 Feb 2017

I read some Which magazine reports that recommended "Start Rescue" This was handy as it was also, at the time, the cheapest.

Al
 deepsoup 09 Feb 2017
> To be fair I checked out the RAC and they are the most expensive I can find and I would rather use the AA or green flag.

Maybe things have changed, but there used to be a significant difference in their 'relay' cover.

I'm not 100% sure it's still the case but as far as I recall the RAC take you home (or wherever) in a single journey on a single recovery truck, whereas the AA have recovery trucks working within certain areas and cross-load you from truck to truck at the boundaries along the way. If you're far from home the difference could amount to a good few hours.

I've been an RAC member for a good few years, have called them out quite a few times for both motorcycle and van and I'm very happy with the service. Often as not the recovery truck that turns up is a smaller subcontractor who works for the other companies as well.

I probably am paying over the odds though - that's normal with any kind of insurance when you take your eye off the ball and renew automatically, because the entire industry is staffed exclusively with unscrupulous bastards. Note to self: next year, ring them up before the renewal is due and haggle!
 deepsoup 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Jimbocz:
> If your car is broken down in your drive, what "arrangements " are you going to make?

If the car won't start, 90% of the time owning and knowing how to use a cheap battery charger will sort that.

Being stuck at home and being stranded at the roadside away from home aren't really the same thing, it's not at all unreasonable that they're not conflated together imo as long as it's made perfectly clear when they take your money what they're covering and what they're not.
 bouldery bits 09 Feb 2017

RAC for me. They've been pretty good for me over the years.
 Rick Graham 09 Feb 2017

I was AA for many years, no complaints except the price kept going up.

A phone call always knocked them down 25-35 %.

When they refused to negotiate, I changed to GEM on the recommendation of Which.

They have been really good and excellent value.
 buzby 09 Feb 2017

I moved from the rac to the aa after some pretty poor service from the rac.
paid it for numerous years and only had to call them out once and the service was woeful.
it was a midweek day in good weather and not at rush hour in the main central belt in Scotland in a large town. it took them over 4 hours to attend and that was only after I rang several times to chase them up.
they said they had no patrols close by but you can drive half the length of Scotland in 4 hours .
not impressed considering how much they charge, when I cancelled at the end of the year they offered me a large discount to stay but didn't see the point if you have to wait that amount of time for a response.
 Dave the Rave 09 Feb 2017

Can't fault the AA and you get good deals for new members.
They have a good phone app that you can report a breakdown and watch them arrive on screen too.
 Hooo 09 Feb 2017

+1 for Auto Aid. It's by far the cheapest and includes relay and home start. The only downside is it's pay and claim, so you need to have a credit card. I've called them out a few times and always had good service. In my experience you get a quicker response from a local garage than a national company.
I was with the AA for years. If you're bored I could give you a long rant about how utterly shite they are. Wouldn't touch them or RAC with a bargepole now.
 Dave B 09 Feb 2017

I've been using brittania rescue for many years. Worked well for me.

Green flag for overseas trips had also been fine.

Rac and aa too much for too little.
 Siward 09 Feb 2017
In reply to deepsoup:
AA for me for 30 odd years, including when I was younger and poorer with cats that regularly broke down. They happily took me home from north of Fort William down to Derby with, as I recall, only one change of vehicle at Glasgow. Home start was a useful addition in those days too.

Cats! Cars too...
Post edited at 21:42
 Dave the Rave 09 Feb 2017
In reply to Siward:

Jaguar?
 Dax H 10 Feb 2017

I am in green flag for both my van and bike, it was a farce getting my bike home from Scotland and every time I ring them they are always abnormally busy and will take a while to reach me.

Having worked for the AA though I wouldn't touch them.
The times you rock up with the recovery truck to someone who had been there 4 hours plus when I only got the call 30 mins previous
 LastBoyScout 10 Feb 2017

I used to be with Green Flag. Called them out to home after a couple of weeks of the car playing up starting. I'd suspected a problem with the starter motor, which the chap confirmed from my description of the problem and a bit of poking about in the engine bay - typically, the car behaved itself when he was looking at it.

After changing the starter motor, it still didn't start, so I started tracing the wiring through. Eventually, after a couple of hours, I traced it back to a worn ignition switch and you just needed to push the key in a bit more to make contact. Started every time. The switch eventually got finished off by a ham-fisted mechanic at the next service and was replaced by them at cost.

I'm going to renew with Auto Aid via Money Saving Expert - 1 policy with them will cover me for the car AND motorbike and anything else I might be driving at any point.
 mullermn 10 Feb 2017

Regarding a couple of points in this thread about the cost of the 'at home' service, remember that breakdown cover is an insurance product and the price of your policy is largely determined by the likelihood that you're going to have a breakdown.

The reason at home cover costs more is because the majority of breakdowns are 'won't start' situations, not breakdowns mid journey. And as someone said above, they are largely caused by knackered batteries - the busiest day of the year for a breakdown company is the first day back at work after Christmas, when a load of vehicles with borderline batteries have been left to stand in cold conditions for a while.

I have worked for one of the big operators for a few years so this is reasonably authoritative information.

One thing to consider is how likely your specific vehicle is to breakdown. If it's pretty new and reliable you might choose to not have cover and just pay the 'roadside' charge if it does happen. It'll cost a lot more - you have to pay for the incident in question as well as a membership (partly for legal reasons - you cannot buy insurance against an event that has already happened), but you'll save a lot of money if you never break down...
 Jenny C 11 Feb 2017
In reply to mullermn: Good point to highight that this is just another insurance policy.

Regarding home start we have jump leads at home and partner is reasonably OK with repairs so if car won't start I am on the bus till he fixes it.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...