UKC

Repair tapes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 climber david 13 Feb 2017
What is the currently recommended repair tape for jackets, waterproofs, drybags etc? Choices of tenacious tape, gorilla tape clear gloss finish or stormsure? Or is there anything else which is recommended?

Cheers

David
 purkle 13 Feb 2017
In reply to climber david:

Not tried the others but tenacious is great.
 DaveHK 13 Feb 2017

The only thing I've found that gives a solid, durable repair are the iron on patches provided by Alpkit with their Gourdon rucksacks. Unfortunately they can't tell me where to get them or supply them themselves.
 summo 13 Feb 2017

Used the stormdure stuff for wellies and it was next to useless. Perhaps their tape products are better, can't be worse .

Iron-on seam seal tape.

I've been pretty impressed with Tenacious Tape. It's survived 30 degrees washing machine cycles which I was very surprised at!
 Dan Arkle 13 Feb 2017

Spinnaker tape. Amazing for light shell garments.

Has anyone compared it to tenacious tape?
 Rick Graham 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Dan Arkle:

I bought some Spinnaker tape on the recommendation of one of these threads.

It was useless, dropped off overnight by itself.

Should I try again ?

Seen some German builders tape which seems indestructible, will have a look for the name.
 m dunn 14 Feb 2017

Tenacious tape is poor. Seems great at first but cracks at folds in time.
 nniff 14 Feb 2017

Tenacious Tape. Not had a problem with it cracking on fabric of comparable flexibility. Oldest repair is probably about 3 years old and still going strong - on a lightweight waterproof. Ditto on a belay jacket. It's been less successful on heavy duty fabric such as gaiters where the tape is 'outgunned' by the heavier material, in which case, tenacious tape to hold it all together for a while and some seam grip to effect the repair itself.
 Dan Arkle 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Rick Graham:

Apply to a clean surface, careful to get it flat, and pre cut to oval edges, it so it doesn't have corners to peel off.

Then rub hard, for ten mins, smoothing it away from Centre of the patch to really get the adhesive well attached to the fibres. This also creates frictional heat which softens the adhesive for a better bond. I suppose a light ironing or hair drying could also help. If you don't care about looks, then a smear of aquasure/seamgrip/shoogoo can make the edges less likely to peel.

Use on inside AND outside of garment.

I've had good lasting results from it, and the same principles apply to any other tape repairs.
 oldie 14 Feb 2017
In reply to Dan Arkle:

May be obvious but I had trouble with tape not sticking to a torn softshell...then remembered i'd sprayed it with a proofer.
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Seen some German builders tape which seems indestructible, will have a look for the name.

It's called Betrafol Rick.

By far and away the best repair tape I've ever used. Way better than tenacious tape which is an expensive waist of money.

It's cost about £20 for a roll about the size of a large roll of duct tape. It should in theory last a lifetime unless you keep giving it away to Peter!

Tom

abcdef 15 Feb 2017
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Can't find much info on Betrafol in English - what colour is it? And what is it made from - synthetic or cotton?
 Fiona Reid 17 Feb 2017
In reply to abcdef:

Betralfol is made of a synthetic material and super super sticky - I ordered a roll a few days back as a result of this thread and it arrived today.

It looks like it has enough give in it that it will go round corners bits where you bend etc etc. It's bright green with Betrafol written on it so if you're looking for a subtle/less visible repair it may not be ideal.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...