UKC

Buying second hand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 19 Feb 2017
My current road bike (Lemond Tourmalet) is coming up to 10 years old and it looks like I may soon be in a position to replace it, but should I go for something brand new or second hand? Max budget will be £2000, and as bikes hold their value even worse than cars, I would get a lot of machine for that price second hand. Factors pushing me towards new are that it will be easier to get a perfect fit, and a horror story from a friend of spending £2000 on an ebay bike which turned out to have a fake frame.

Looking for something racier than my current bike, open minded about exact spec but leaning towards mechanical rather than electronic shifters and carbon frame.

What are the thoughts and experiences of the UKC cyclists?
 Siward 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:

Only that I've always bought second hand. I'd only by new if I was getting a frame made to measure.
It pays to see the bike in the flesh before parting with any cash and also to satisfy yourself that you are happy with the seller, what they can tell you about the bike's history, why they are selling it etc. Common sense stuff really.

My luvverly used Bianchi came complete with sale invoices and receipts etc and cost about 1/3rd of new price although virtually unused.
 Run_Ross_Run 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:

Similar situation to you.

I'd buy brand new, peace of mind if something goes wrong, servicing/inspection, option for finance (if you wanted that to upgrade a little more), not having to worry about the history of a second hand ride.

Look for a new clearance 2016 model and you'll get a bargain atm, there's loads out there.

Just my 2 pence worth, other have probably had no issue buying 2nd hand.
 Weekend Punter 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:

Very similar situation to me last year, I too retired a 10 year old Lemond along with a similar aged winter trainer. My plan was to initially replace the winter trainer with a Planet X build with a budget around £1,200. However I was so impressed with the Planet X this is now my summer/racing bike, although the budget stretched to £1,500 the bike is kitted out with mechanical Ultegra and Vision T42 wheels - it looks and rides great.

My advice would be to take a look at Planet X, Ribble, Dolan or similar before making a final decision, you can get a lot of bike well within your budget. Buying a used bike has never appealed to me simply as you don't know the history - this is based on nothing more than gut feel rather than direct or indirect bad experience.

Happy shopping
Removed User 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:
I'd echo what Weekend Punter said. Ribble and Dolan in particular have some top-notch frames and your budget will still allow high end kit and wheels. Both are very good to deal with as well.
Post edited at 11:44
 jethro kiernan 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:

local bike shops can offer deals, my wife recently got a cannonade synapse from evolution bikes in bangor, this included a discount a full bike fitting and a very good deal on a wheel upgrade (they deduct the retail value of the existing wheels off the upgrade.
 elsewhere 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:
No recent experience of 2nd hand myself but saw this yesterday.
https://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/video/how-to-buy-a-used-bike-what-to-l...
OP Sam W 19 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:

Ribble and Dolan could both be a good shout, have a trip up to Preston in a few weeks anyway, should be able to find time to drop in and have a look at what's on offer. What are they like on advising about bike fit?

There is definitely part of me that just likes the idea of a shiny new bike, which is the opposite of how I feel about cars, but I also like getting a bargain. Have worked in a bike workshop before so pretty confident I would spot a damaged frame, less sure I would notice a good fake.
 Weekend Punter 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:

I've never personally purchased from Ribble but the Dolan shop is quite small so could be worth a phone call before arriving. I purchased my Dolan winter trainer this year over the net and they have facilities to fine tune the fit so it's a possibility that they offer a pre-purchase service
 LastBoyScout 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:
2nd hand can be fine, if you're careful/lucky.

My commuter bike is a second hand bike from a reputable dealer that someone had traded in as the wrong size for them. Been fine for me and meant I got a lot more for my money than I would otherwise have done - can't remember exactly, but something like RRP of £1800, I paid ~£700 and the shop set it up for me.

Bought my wife a barely used Giant road bike on eBay last summer - owner had bought it to do a couple of charity rides with work, but decided she preferred mountain biking. RRP £830, we got it for £130. My hybrid was mint and less than half RRP on eBay, too.

Equally, I nearly bought a 2nd hand road bike from a colleague of a friend of mine. Rode well, seemed a good size, but final inspection before parting with cash revealed the head tube had cracked where it joined the down tube, so walked away from that one. I don't think he was trying to pull a fast one. Point is, if you go 2nd hand, have a damn good look at it and make sure you turn it upside down.

My best bike was a project built up from parts to my own spec - all bits from sales and got a very nice bike for a lot less than the equivalent "off the peg", so that might be worth a go if you have the time/skills.

If I was you, with that budget, I would get properly measured by a good fitter (~£100) if you don't already know your size, and then start out looking at sale bikes in your local bike shops and get haggling. Maybe look to spend around £1500 on the bike and that'll leave you a bit spare for pedals, bottle cages and a wheel upgrade - stock wheels can often be rubbish at that price point, as they'll expect you to want to upgrade.

I'd personally be very wary of spending your sort of money 2nd hand and especially on eBay - a couple of hundred quid isn't the end of the world, but that's a lot to lose if things go wrong and you've no comeback.

edit - just noticed your comment about working in a bike workshop, so looks like you do have the skills to build from parts. You'll definitely get something unique that way
Post edited at 10:15
 RX-78 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:
All my bikes (and bike frames) have been purchased secondhand, you need to know your bike makes/brands and a bit about bikes before going safely down this route though. So if you have the necessary knowledge it should be ok. I got second hand a brand new Roberts about 17 years ago, later on over the years I got a track frame, hardtail MTB and pinarello frame second hand and built up into bikes myself. My favourite way of getting a bike. No problems with any of them and they all saw years of hard service.
Post edited at 10:22
Rigid Raider 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:

As with all these kinds of things, if you know your way around a bike and are confident in finding the right frame, by all means look around and buy second hand. As a keen cyclist I would say that people only sell good bikes because they look tired or something better has come along so the chance of finding a used bike that really suits you are slim.

OTOH £2000 is a decent budget and a good shop like Harry Hall in Manchester will sell you a new £2500 bike for almost that. At that price level you'll get Ultegra and a nice frame. My cycling buddy has just bought a new Trek Domane with Ultegra from them with mudguards fitted for just over £2000. I see that Evans are offering the Domane with 105 for £2000, that's a lot of bike.

Ribble are good but my belief is that they use open mould frames branded up - I may be wrong of course. Same with others like Fell Bikes in Clitheroe, where you'll get a really bespoke service if you trot along for a chat and a coffee. If you go over there, be sure to visit Green Jersey in Clitheroe because the owner Richard is generous with discounts. The coffee is also good there.
 Toby_W 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:

How tall are you? My friend is selling a gorgeous venge 58, it's pristine and only ridden on sunny days, he's asking 2300 but you could offer 2000. Two other bikes and a small child, it breaks my heart.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/150658971765826/permalink/750846625080388/?...

Cheers

Toby

cousin nick 20 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:

Over the years I have bought bikes second hand (via ebay and local buy/sell pages on Facebook). I've also bought new, through LBS and Planet X.
With £2k to spend you have a lot of leverage and a good LBS should be able to do a good deal, particularly on last years stock (they may have access to other models/sizes through the dealer network too). Buying new comes with all the guarantees etc for peace of mind.
I only buy second hand if I can get more info from the seller e.g. history of the bike, why they're selling. I'd be reluctant to spend as much as £2k on a used bike unless it was someone I know very well and know the bikes history. But that's just me. As I say £2k should give you some buying 'power'. Don't be backward in pushing for a good price. I bought a 2016 Trek Fuel EX9.8 for exactly £2k last September from my LBS (RRP at the beginning of the year was £3750).

N
OP Sam W 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Sam W:

Thanks for all responses. Still haven't decided which way to jump, visiting Dolan/Ribble/Merlin this weekend. Big plus for Ribble is that they allow a 30 day trial period on bikes, Dolan don't even allow test rides from the shop.

On the second hand front a friend of a friend has a Scott Foil which is the right size, will be a look but suspect it's going to be a bit too stiff. That Venge also looks interesting, in Plymouth next week so will get in touch about a viewing if I'm still looking.
 Dark-Cloud 01 Mar 2017
In reply to Sam W:
For a budget of £2k you can get a hell of a lot of bike these days, I am a fan of Giants, been riding them for years, you could buy this and have change in your pocket:

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/tcr-advanced-1-disc

This may appear to be contentious and I am sure I will get flamed but the big brands are where you want to be looking for best value, the Planet X and other smaller brands are just pattern Chinese frames, they appear cheap and that's because they are.

Personally I wouldn't go to Ribble, their customer service is legendary for all the wrong reasons but YMMV and I am sure others will disagree.
Post edited at 07:47
 nniff 01 Mar 2017
In reply to Sam W:

I've just been out looking at my old commuter and deciding what to do with it. It needs new wheels, shifters and cables. It's done me well - it's an old Trek Discovery Channel something or other, bought 2nd hand off gumtree. I spoke to endless dodgy citizens of South London who clearly were not the legitimate owners of the bike they were selling before i found one that was right. Front mech was bent, but other than that it was fine. The whole thing cost me £350. Then I bought a very nice frame and put the bits from that second hand bike on it, slowly replaced them and put them back on the donor bike, until I had the old knacker reinstated and a shiny carbon thing. At the other end of the spectrum, I've got a stainless steel hand built eye-turner, built for me last summer.

What to do now? the old knacker is comfortable as both winter bike and commuter. If I were to replace it, it would cost me about £1500. New 10 speed shifters, bar tape, brake pads, cables and wheels would be £500 and it would be back flying again.

I can't say that spending £2,000 on a second hand bike appeals

quirky 01 Mar 2017
In reply to Sam W:

Slightly cheeky hijack of the thread but i have a Cube Agree SL (Superlight) for sale, full carbon, brand new wheels, almost new 105 groupset for just over half of you budget!!
 GrahamD 01 Mar 2017
In reply to Sam W:

I'm only a recreational rider but I have a Scott Foil (because I loved the way it looked and I could afford it at the time) - and its brilliant. Although a 'harder'ride I find it much more comfortable to ride than my supposedly more relaxed Giant Defy.

Its certainly the machine I prefer to ride on sportives or multi day rides.

So don't rule it out if it looks like a good deal.
Rigid Raider 01 Mar 2017
In reply to Sam W:

So before deciding, nip over to Clitheroe on the A59 and check out Beacon Bikes: http://www.beaconfell.com/bikes

Also go to Green Jersey in Clitheroe because, as I wrote above, the owner is a generous discounter of old stock. He sells Ridley, Genesis and a few others. http://thegreenjersey.co.uk/

quirky 01 Mar 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

A +1 for Beacon and Green Jersey. Green Jersey had some amazing deals earlier in the year, both shops a very good at getting you the right bike rather than just selling you anything.
 chris fox 01 Mar 2017
In reply to Sam W:

I bought my road bike 2nd hand, i bought it from a bike shop that has a racing team. So i knew the history of it. Still, i saved 1/3rd off buying it new.

There's plenty of buying and selling on the FB pages, but i'd advise on picking up in person rather than the paypal/delivery. (I drove Stockport to near Aldershot for my bike - a 9hr round trip !!!)

Chris

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...