UKC

Windows 7 or 10?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stp 24 Feb 2017
Putting an SSD in and wondering if there's any reason to switch to Windows 10 from W7? All I can see is a lot of useless things wrong with 10 but wondering if there are any compelling reasons to upgrade?
 Durbs 24 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

I really like 10... 8 was shockingly poor, but 10's really good.

7's very old, arguably insecure and you might find some more recent software will be incompatible.
 Rob Parsons 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Durbs:

> 7's very old, arguably insecure ...

In which ways exactly would you argue that it is 'insecure' (or, at least, more insecure than other version)?

gethin_allen 24 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

If you have a copy of 7 I'd stick with it for a while. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy windows10
But saying this, one of my main issues with windows 10 is the fact you can't turn off the auto updates if you have "upgraded" from 8 or 7 so you get loads of issues with it installing massive updates when you're trying to work.
If you buy a copy I've been informed you have extra functions and can change the update settings.

Hopefully as windows 10 matures a bi the updates will become smaller and less frequent.
 Chris the Tall 24 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

Microsoft are giving Jan 2020 as the end-of-life date for Windows 7, so you've got about 30 months before you start being pestered with warnings

If it was new PC I'd say definately go W10, but for an upgrade, not so sure. I think most people using a desktop simply tailor W10 to look like W7 and ignore all the crap that was introduced in W8. If it's a laptop/tablet then W10 makes more sense.

The question is did W10 break the good/bad cycle from Win98/ME/XP/Vista/7/8 ? Just because 10 was better than 8 does it make it good one - which means we are due another turkey ?
 Loughan 24 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

I'd definitely rate Windows 7 out of 10, full marks is a bit much

IGMC
 FactorXXX 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

In which ways exactly would you argue that it is 'insecure' (or, at least, more insecure than other version)?

It thinks that Cortana is talking about it behind its back...
 Luke90 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:
> In which ways exactly would you argue that it is 'insecure' (or, at least, more insecure than other version)?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/itpro/windows/keep-secure/windows-10-se...
 Hooo 24 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

I would avoid switching unless you have to. Especially if you have to pay for it.
The UI is better than 8, but still not as good as 7 so you end up putting Classic Shell on it anyway.
The underlying code in Windows 10 is a massive change from 7or 8, a far bigger difference than going from XP to 8 even. It caused me loads of grief, I got it all working and then the Anniversary update arrived and broke more stuff. Stuff like graphics drivers not working properly, network drivers losing functionality, my printer was a major bodge to install and my scanner won't work at all.
7 will be fine for a good few years yet, stick with it until you get a new PC or you want to run something that only works on 10.
 gethin_allen 24 Feb 2017
In reply to Luke90:

Not really knowing much about these things but, Microsoft are hardly going to tell people that their new product is no better than their older products.
 hang_about 24 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

I was die hard Windows 7. Just got a new PC with Windows 10 and after getting rid of bloatware installed by Dell and making Cortana shut up, I'm quite a fan. I really was prepared to hate it.
Catir1974 24 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:
Definitely Windows 10
Post edited at 19:12
OP stp 24 Feb 2017
In reply to hang_about:

What is it you like about it?
 Hooo 24 Feb 2017
In reply to hang_about:

To be fair, if you're buying new you might as well get 10. You know it will all work. The OP is talking about upgrading though, which is not something I'd recommend.
 john arran 24 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

My advice would be to go for 10 if you can do a clean install from scratch, but I had so much trouble with an upgrade from 7 that I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Maybe I was unlucky but I ended up buying a new machine as it was no longer worth more of my time trying to resolve the issues. Having said that, the new machine running 10 is fantastic and much quicker and easier than the old, similarly-specced one was when running 7.
 Brass Nipples 24 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

Get Wibdiws 10 far better than 7.

ben b 25 Feb 2017
In reply to Lion Bakes:

> Get Wibdiws 10 far better than 7.

That's a nasty cold you have there!

b
 The Lemming 25 Feb 2017
In reply to hang_about:

> I was die hard Windows 7. Just got a new PC with Windows 10 and after getting rid of bloatware installed by Dell and making Cortana shut up, I'm quite a fan. I really was prepared to hate it.

I too was a die hard Window's 7 fan and put off Window's 10 until just before the free offer ended. And I'm so glad that I did this because I really enjoy using Windows 10. In fact I have had to use a Windows 7 computer and found some of the features tricky to remember or adjust to.

This is not to say that Windows 10 is perfect because there are teething problems with all things.

I am so glad that I did not register for one of those Windows Account thingies. Microsoft tries so hard for you to register an account and make it very hard for you to work out that you can activate without creating an account.

I also stopped Cortana from ruling my life by either switching it off or ignoring the feature. Try as you may to kill off Cortana but with each new major update the fecker comes back to life. Not having a Windows Account sure does limit her capabilities.

The Lemming 25 Feb 2017
In reply to john arran:

> My advice would be to go for 10 if you can do a clean install from scratch, but I had so much trouble with an upgrade from 7 that I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

After I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, I went looking for a clean Windows 10 operating system from the Microsoft site. I was then able to do a clean install with no bloatware in sight.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10
 hang_about 25 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

> What is it you like about it?

It's not a case of like - it's more a case of not disliking, which I expected to do. I find I can just get on with my work (once Cortana has been silenced). It's hard to tell whether it's quicker etc as it's a new high-spec machine with lots of RAM and SSD drive so everything is very quick (a few seconds to boot up). The machine also lives on a fast network so I'm not bothered by update speeds etc.

It's a matter of taste. I turned off all the animations in Office etc, removed all the live tiles. I don't cope well with distractions. For serious work I use Unix systems............

Mark Edwards 25 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

I finally got my new works laptop (an engineering spec zbook). Unlike the rest of the dept who’s were ordered before Xmas and came with Windoze7 mine has W10, not a happy bunny – got deadlines to meet so don’t need the hassle of a new OS.

All the packages we need are stored on our server and have been used multiple times with W7 machines. Installing them on my W10 machine has killed it (unhandled thread problem on boot – so it’s off back to IT for a reinstall and a wasted 3 days) proving the exception to the statement that most W7 applications will run on W10. The main package I use is OrCAD which is quite a flaky house of cards at the best of times so spent quite some time talking to our support contacts but got 95% of the way there before it died. So have spent quite some time digging into the unfamiliar intricacies of W10 (where the hell is the Control Panel shortcut and why does entering “control” into the search bar usually result in no entries, although the upgrade to Data Source Administrator is certainly a step forward).

Can't comment on the long term W7 security aspect. I have a damn good firewall as part of my router and have never had a problem with any of my minimally protected 'always on' machines and can't see this changing even if W7 stops getting updated. I even have an old XP machine on my network, for running legacy software which has never had a problem (yes I check the router logs, so I would know if they misbehaved).

Verdict: Still don’t like it and would prefer W7, but eventually all our corporate machines will be W10 so will have to get used to it sooner or later. I can’t see any advantage to upgrading my own personal machines at this time (and probably for at least the next few years). But with the Classic Shell at least it isn’t totally alien but the differences are still annoying.
In reply to Hooo:

> Not really knowing much about these things but, Microsoft are hardly going to tell people that their new product is no better than their older products.

Especially considering they gave win10 away for 18 months in a bid to get people to adopt it. They're hardly likely to give you an unbiased assessment of the pros and cons of each version of their OS.
 Brass Nipples 25 Feb 2017
In reply to ben b:

> That's a nasty cold you have there!b

Ha ha, that iOS corrupting what you type for you!
 timjones 26 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

Why wouldn't you go for 10?

I skipped all the versions between XP and 10. Apart from our accounts software, which was a version that was purchased before XP existed, all our software and hardware works perfectly.
OP stp 27 Feb 2017
In reply to timjones:

> Why wouldn't you go for 10?

1. I don't like the fact that you have no control over the automatic updates. It means ultimately MS is charge of my operating system rather than me.

2. I can see the new interface is better for touchscreens but I don't have a touchscreen.

3. It's comes pre-loaded with a lot of junk and advertising I don't want. And considering 1. they could just add more as the mood suits them.

4. I also heard it contains more spyware (though not sure of the details).

So hence I'm asking what the advantages are. The only concrete one seems to be that updates will stop of W7 in a couple of years.
 john arran 27 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

10 boot time is just a few seconds and a fraction of what 7 could manage, even when the 7 machine was fresh out of the box.
Not sure there are that many things 10 can do that 7 couldn't at all, but it seems there are lots of things that 10 does far more quickly and easily.
 timjones 27 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

Ours came pre-installed on a laptop that we bought when our old faithful Dell finally expired.

It seems to be possible to decline the updates fairly indefinitely, I can't say that I've noticed any advertising and I'm not sure that it has any more junk than previous versions of Windows.

As for advantages it just seems to work with no hassles, every piece of hardware that I have plugged in has been recognised and worked with no input required on my behalf.

Based on limited exposure to Windows 7 when installing software and hardware on my sisters laptop I much prefer 10.
 felt 27 Feb 2017
In reply to stp:

I've got 7 pro on my laptop and have upgraded to 10 on my desktop and I can't say I notice any difference between the two.
 oldie 27 Feb 2017
In reply to Chris the Tall:

> The question is did W10 break the good/bad cycle from Win98/ME/XP/Vista/7/8 ? Just because 10 was better than 8 does it make it good one - which means we are due another turkey ?<

Know little about IT but my son told me that W8.1 was good and very different from 8 and really a 'W9'.Thus is W10 the bad one in the cycle?
Did the free upgrade to W10 and have been able to work around minor issues.

Mark Edwards 01 Mar 2017
In reply to Mark Edwards:

> ....the exception to the statement that most W7 applications will run on W10.

Yippee. IT bod turned up and tried to fix it. Failed. So told to send it back to the IT Gurus. IT Chief Guru agreed to put W7 back onto it as there’s about 3 years life left in W7 (and with my heart problems I will be lucky to last that long (although I’ve said that before)) and that will have minimal impact on my productivity.
So my opinion on W10. Great if all you want to do is play the latest games or you’re browsing requirements could be met with an Android toy.
But for real work…….

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...