UKC

North Pembrokeshire advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy2 28 Feb 2017
I’m off to north Pembrokeshire next week, staying near St Davids.

I’d like to climb at Carreg y Barcud and Craig Caerfai, but they look exposed to the south west wind, which is the forecast direction for next week. Is there anywhere in the St Davids area which is sheltered from the wind, and is likely to be dry at this time of the year? The tides aren't great, either, so non tidal would be good too!

I’ve got the guidebook, just looking for some personal recommendations. Best grades VS-E1, but prepared to go easier.

I’m aware of my options in south Pembrokeshire, but I’d rather stay in the north if possible.

Thanks
 The Ivanator 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Andy2:

Crags north of St. Davids tend to be pretty shady and cold this time of year, but if the air temperatures are not so bad then crags like No match for crag id:63 and No match for crag id:65 have great routes in your grade range and may be dry.
The climbing on No match for crag id:1265 itself catches more sun (especially in the morning) but the aspect may also mean you get some of the wind problems from the sandstone bays transferred, routes there are OK, slightly short and generally non tidal.
Starting a day at St. Davids head and heading across to Coetan or Trwyn Llwyd later (when they may catch a little oblique sun) can make for a good day.
Worth seeking out are Barad (E1 5b) (E1 in CC Guide) Twinkler (HVS 5a) (now given HVS) and Act of God (VS 4c). More adventurous than the sandstone if you like that sort of thing.
Sandstone wise south of St. Davids No match for crag id:2791 is positioned in a sheltered bay (as long as the wind isn't blowing right into the mouth of the inlet. It is tidal (though hanging belays are possible) routes there might be generally a little easy for your taste, but Aries (VS 4b) is a gem.
 The Ivanator 28 Feb 2017
 John2 28 Feb 2017
In reply to The Ivanator:

Some good routes already mentioned, I'd also recommend Shiraz (E1) and Chinon (HVS) on Velvet Wall, together with Sinecure (E1) and Ethos (HVS) at Carreg y Barcud. Wind may be a problem, but the forecast doesn't always get it right, especially a week ahead.
OP Andy2 01 Mar 2017
In reply to all:

Thanks both !
 Tom Valentine 01 Mar 2017
In reply to The Ivanator:
Once again I am wanting someone to have a crack at Cordelia on Mur Cenhinen because no- one has reported back yet...
Post edited at 18:47

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...