UKC

Government Plans To Weaken Environmental Protection

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 01 Mar 2017

By making it prohibitively expensive for anybody to challenge it in court .

http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_round_up/2988699/government_tries_to_...
OP Timmd 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Nobody has an opinion, any outrage, or thoughts on what might challenge this?

Perhaps I should have put Brexit in the title...

Doug 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

Does this only apply to environmental laws ? & is it really UK or just England & Wales? (not rare for journalists to forget that Scotland has its own legal system)
OP Timmd 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Doug:
It seems plausible that it would apply to Scotland too, unless they have another Indy Reff and get to stay in the EU?

That aspect is possibly secondary, I think, to the principle of it being bad enough that it may 'just' apply to environmental laws (I only say possibly, in case any Scottish people are irked ).

Looking into how the wider pubic can support environmental organisations against the government during these uncertain times could seem like a good plan. It could be that, more generally, as a population we need to look more closely at our legal protections as we start to Brexit.
Post edited at 13:35
 jkarran 02 Mar 2017
In reply to Timmd:

I wonder can a limited liability company bring a case against them and if so, would the company provide a limit on directors' liability. Not my field of expertise obviously.

Depressingly I suspect we're going to see a lot more of this as the Tories consolidate their grip on power in the coming decade especially once they're free of European oversight. I'm not really sure what if anything realistic can be done about it, we have some very dark years ahead.
jk
Post edited at 13:34

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...